PDA

View Full Version : Little River 3/10

buzzmcmanus
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0206.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0205.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0200.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0204.jpg

The picture quality is not good, since they were taken from my phone, but it was roaring.

whitefeather
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow! Definitely out of it banks! According to the park service these events tend to kill off the trout also. Hope this trend is over by the time I get there in mid April.

MadisonBoats
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow! Definitely out of it banks! According to the park service these events tend to kill off the trout also. Hope this trend is over by the time I get there in mid April.

Yeah, that is high; but, I saw some days like this last year. Those streams are pretty resilient unless they get run-off from toxic agents or heavy silt levels from slides up stream. Also; their feeding becomes limited due to these conditions. However; they usually just hold in a slack hole or under rocks for feeding. Most of the park streams I see at high water are usually running pretty clear after the initial rains.

I know the Clinch is a complete mud soup at times and it was horrible last week.

I think the biggest issue would be runoff from construction areas, road drainage, etc.

There are more freestone guys on this site that know more about this potential issue than I do... I am a frequent visitor to the mountains; but, rarely fish them.

ifish4wildtrout
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd recommend using a #22 dry, perfect fly for that flow. :biggrin:

Troutman
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
That's good! Maybe it will flush out all those dirty diapers, flip flops, hub caps, and bud light cans left over from last year so we wont have to pick them up.

Rainbow Warrior
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Thats some high water! Maybe it's time for one of these... :biggrin:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/troutFREAK134/100_0116-1.jpg

Grannyknot
03-10-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm planning on fishing a #12 prince nymph under a down-rigger this weekend.

Crockett
03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm planning on fishing a #12 prince nymph under a down-rigger this weekend.

Maybe use a bowling ball lol

jeffnles1
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Cool pictures, thanks for posting.

As for the trout, well, the specs have been in those streams for thousands of years and the bows and browns have been there for nearly a century. Spring and winter flooding is part of nature and this isn't the first time, nor will it be the last. My guess is those little buggers are a whole lot tougher than we give them credit.

Jeff

Fishstu
03-10-2011, 07:07 PM
I realize Redondo Beach marina in California is a few miles away from GSMNP, but their problems with millions of dead sardines in the marina may help keep 'things' in perspective.

sammcdonald
03-10-2011, 09:52 PM
rainbow warrior....no inflatible for me on these waters....even a sturdy dagger takes a lot of hits ...and waters this high are not for many... a couple of years ago a "yakker" died trying and he was experienced (road prong)

Rainbow Warrior
03-10-2011, 10:09 PM
rainbow warrior....no inflatible for me on these waters....even a sturdy dagger takes a lot of hits ...and waters this high are not for many... a couple of years ago a "yakker" died trying and he was experienced (road prong)

Wow, it always seems to amaze me what stupid things people will do for a rush. No matter how experienced you may be, flooding rivers are NO joke. There are just too many things floating downstream and plenty of trees to get stuck on. I'd never even get near water like that! I think the Ocoee is enough for me atleast! I have had a near drowning experience in Florida and will never forget it. Those rip-tide signs you see on the beach are no joke. I didn't even notice I was getting pulled out! Oh well, getting off topic here...how long do you guys figure until the rivers will be back to fishable?

Bran
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Yikes! Still pretty compared to the rivers here, they're that ferocious in addition to being about the color of a grapefruit and about as thick as 40W motor oil right now!
Those poor folks up north are really going to get it the next couple of days. Looks like some major flooding up there around NJ.

Corbo
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Would anyone like to borrow my dry wall stilts?

MadisonBoats
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Yikes! Still pretty compared to the rivers here, they're that ferocious in addition to being about the color of a grapefruit and about as thick as 40W motor oil right now!
Those poor folks up north are really going to get it the next couple of days. Looks like some major flooding up there around NJ.

E.TN gets a lot of the VA runoff. I saw that Norris was getting a 25k cfs inflow rate today. That is insane and the river is super high in Clinton right now.

Crockett
03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Wow, it always seems to amaze me what stupid things people will do for a rush. No matter how experienced you may be, flooding rivers are NO joke. There are just too many things floating downstream and plenty of trees to get stuck on. I'd never even get near water like that! I think the Ocoee is enough for me atleast! I have had a near drowning experience in Florida and will never forget it. Those rip-tide signs you see on the beach are no joke. I didn't even notice I was getting pulled out! Oh well, getting off topic here...how long do you guys figure until the rivers will be back to fishable?

Smaller streams like anthony creek are probably fishable already (in spots) but will still be very tough likely till Sunday. By then I am guessing the smaller streams will be great again and the bigger waters starting to get back to 'ok'. I know you can catch some big trout but I don't like fishing the big fast water from the bank. Personally I wouldn't hit the LR again till late next week when I can get in again.

duckypaddler
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM

The gentleman that died was very experienced as wasn't stupid or just after a rush:frown:. He was a world class athlete, and I would ask you to refrain from those kind of comments. More people are killed on the Class 2 Nantahala in one year than the Smokies any year, and this is the only death of a real kayaker in the park that I can remember (Beside the guy that shot himself and through the skirt & boat in the water to make it look like a drowning like medical technocians wouldn't notice a big bullet wound from a 357). While no one know exactly what happened ot was kind of like the equivilent of winning a nascar race only to get killed on the drive home and was very sad for his family & friend. While you typically don't see kayakers at most fishing levels, I bet the parking lots at Big Creek, Greenbrier, Chimney's, and Tremont trailhead will be full of boats. Like any group there are plenty of crazy people that do foolish things, but let's sure we have the reasonable perspective on other sports. Steroptyping kayakers is no better than saying trout guys are a bunch of grumpy old rich men dressed up in 1000's of $;'s in Orvis gear:biggrin: which I always correct them on. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm beating up on you.

Buzz - Thanks for the shots

Whitefeather - while that water was high it was still several feet from the banks and never got over 6 feet. When it hits 9 feet I would start looking for damage.

Ooh and high water for kayaking only means you must be smarter and know where to go. Many runs only run (ex West Prong of the Little) when the flows are real high. If any of you are fishing this weekend and see an inflatable kayak say hello.

Temps are great and it looks like Spring is here - Weekend for paddling & Wednesday I'm going Brookie hunting:biggrin:

Bran
03-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Ducky, that sounds good! Wish I could join you for that Brookie hunting. Alas, I have a lot of work to go before I'll even be close to visiting the Smokies. I'm hoping to team up with Troutman in June good Lord willing. Safe passage to you!

whitefeather
03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
duckypaddler,

My mistake then, it looked like the water was over the banks in that third picture.

Your right, the gage was just a hair over 6 feet!