PDA

View Full Version : Big Ugly Tellico

ChemEAngler
03-11-2011, 10:19 PM
All this high water has reminded me that I didn't have any really big buggy looking patterns for dredging the deep runs Smokies browns tend to haunt. So, I tied up a few of these tonight in preparation for a possible assualt on one of their homes this weekend.....
http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v25/p337881219-3.jpg

Recipe:
Hook: TMC 5267 #6
Thread: Black 6/0
Lead: 0.020 wrapped all the way up shank
Tail: Grizzly barred rubber legs
Antennae: Grizzly barred rubber legs
Underbody: yellow hare's ear dubbing
Ribbing: peacock herl
Legs: brown hackle
Wingcase: turkey tail feather

MickT
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I may have to steal this one for smallmouth this summer!

rbreedi1
03-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Very nice!

MadisonBoats
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I like it!

flyman
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Rubber legs are a nice addition to attractor/searching nymphs like the Tellico.

ChemEAngler
03-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys.

I am not the original creator of this fly, and even the title Big Ugly Tellico, is just what I thought of. I think Ian Rutter actually created the first pattern that is similar to this.

As with most flies, some people believe that changing out one material for another warrants a name change. For example:
BHPT, flashback pheasant tail, quasimodo, olive pheasant tail, brite bead case pheasant tail, etc. All just minor variations to the base pattern.

For that reason so many of my flies I have developed over years of fishing, and I couldn't come up with a name even if I had to. So usually I just stick with "a variation of the BHPT or whatchamadingler".

flybum62
03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with MickT, I'll add this to my smallie box. Sweet fly.

BlueRaiderFan
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Very cool, Travis! I may do this with some of my other nymphs...

Mundele
03-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Wow, what good timing... I tied my first Tellico Nymph this evening before seeing this post. Mine were ugly but not intentionally. I have a question about prince nymphs, tellico nymphs and all those with the hackle wrap "legs". I can never seem to get the wrap to look right. What do you use? I've tried dry fly hackle which looks ok but is too stiff, I've tried some other feathers but they tend to be too long and don't lay right.

Can you give me some advice?

-Matt