PDA

View Full Version : Fishing West Millers Cove and Blackberry Farms

BigMax
03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
All,

I have been very fortunate to have a close friend of mine end up with a cabin above backberry farms on west millers cove. So my first thought was FISHING! So my question to you is....drum roll please....are there trout up there? i have never been there and i hope to make it up there today. I was told that there are 2 streams...on that flows from a lake with no trout and another that im assuming is stocked for blackberry farms?

another important questions i have is for my friends who im hoping to teach to fly fish here....they bass fish and i doubt they would be inclined to purchase trout stamps since we are all still broke college kids so what is the rule for fishing liscenses and more importantly trout stamps on private land?

Hope to know more this afternoon

Thanks

FishNHunt
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes sir. There are trout in the Hessie's creek. There are some BIG trout that the farm stocks in there. The creek that your talking about that comes from the pond is the Top-O-World pond and it flows down the gorge that can be seen from Foothills Park Way. I have walked every inch of that creek from the big field at the end of the road that Black Berry is on to the dam of the pond. That is ALL private land and requires permission. I had permission to do so but, since have given up that lease. There are no trout in the section of the creek that I was in but, it is deep with beautiful plung pools and if the pond didn't drain from the surface (raising the water temperature so high in the summer months) the creek could sustain a population of trout. Now, that's not to say that during the winter months trout wouldn't migrate up the creek.
The other creek your are refuring to is called Cane Creek. I've also walked it from the private property at the same place as above to Cooper Rd trail. I believe that trout could survive in it during most of the summer but, it shallows quickly about 3/4 of a mile from the private land. Both places are VERY tight in for fishing and impossible without the aid of a chainsaw in 90% of it. Just off the private property there is an old EARLY year model truck long since abandoned along the creek. There is also a very neat man made log bridge just off the property line. It would make for a very nice picture.
Unless you were to take your friends inside the park they would be required to have a trout stamp. However, (and I've never asked a Game Warden this) I believe that's for the keeping of trout. ***** Don't take what I just said as Gospel because I could VERY well be wrong. SO, if there are smallmouth (which there are in Hessie's Creek) you could fudge a little and claim to only be bass fishing with a fly rod. I believe if it were myself I would spend the extra few bucks and purchase a trout stamp and be on the safe side.
If you have any questions about that area I would be more than happy to answer them from you.

03-12-2011, 09:32 PM
It is my understanding that many states designate certain specified waters as trout water, and as such require trout licenses/stamps if fished, regardless of the sought after species. This might be worth checking into for the streams in question.

Lee