PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for smallies this time of year?

Rodonthefly
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Since all the tail waters seem to be blown out and will be for a while. Where are some good smallies waters and can you catch them this time of year? I had real good luck in the heat of the summer last year on the little river and peigon rivers.

BIGBR
03-14-2011, 10:59 AM
If you have something to float in you can fish the holston and do very well right now. We put in at nance's ferry and float down from there. We have private access to get out though, you may want a boat with a motor to come back to nance's if you can't find a place to get out. Any flies you would use on the little river would work.

MickT
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Fish S-L-O-w and deep right now. The water is still cold- 52* where I was at yesterday at 4 pm. I like bigger flies- the meal has to be worth moving for. I have caught a few on in a couple of short trips this year, and I was fishing a half and half tight to the bottom, just letting the current carry it along. I did have a small fish flash on it in some pocket water on a shoal, so they may be getting more active.

Rodonthefly
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
if you don't mind me asking which river were you fishing

MickT
03-14-2011, 07:39 PM
The LP in Sevierville. I go there b/c I can cast from the bank. The river is just too swift to wade right now.