PDA

View Full Version : Looking suggestions.....

Bran
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi all, ok, I've only Trout fished in/ around the Smokies and the Blue Ridge in VA. I'm looking for a nice trip later this year, say August/ Sept. time frame where I could Fly Fish but my wife could spin fish and have a good time. I'd like for her to be able to catch some nice fish and I'd love to break the 12" size on a few with the long rod. What do you think?

As a qualifier, I'd like to stay in the Eastern half of the U.S., and I could hire a guide for a day if necessary to learn a little about the water.
I've been thinking Elk River, WV, White River, AR, and several others and I've read through the old posts in this section some too. Thanks!!

Troutman
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Bran , I would recommend emailing or called Randy Ratliff up in the tri-cities area of Tn and talk to him about a trip on either the Watauga or SoHo for trout. He also guides on one of the best smallie rivers in TN, the Holston (proper) Very good guide for families, who both fly and spin fish. He feeds you good also! I took a trip with Randy last summer and had a great time and caught some very nice smallies. here is his website

http://www.trout-fishers.net/

Rodonthefly
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Got an e-mail address?

WVBrookie
03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I've fished all over the east coast and I wouldn't put the lower Elk in the top 20 streams in WV, let alone the east coast - unless you like stocked trout. However, there is a guide at Elk Springs Resort named Dave Breitmeier (ElkRiver32@frontier.net) that you can't go wrong with. If you want big, wild trout the Slatyfork section of the Elk is great.

If you want a few other WV wild trout streams, drop me an email (chris.1.shockey@gmail.com). With more information on what you are searching for, I can help you out. August/September is a bad time to fish the east coast as most streams, other than tailwaters, are VERY low.

Other options on the east coast that I like:

Savage (MD) and North Branch (WV) - both are tailwaters
State College area (PA)
West Branch Ausable (NY)
IMO, the #1 fishing destination on the east coast is GSMNP!
Chris

Bran
03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Gary, I remember you talking about that trip now. Ill check that out.
Rod, its branmidkiff at yahoo dot com.
Thanks Chris, I'm kind of just searching right now and ran across an advertisement for the Elk. Just wondered. I was also looking at White River or maybe even a warm or saltwater trip. Haven't really settled on anything but those Smallies are really tempting!
I was just leaning more to Trout cause its something I don't get to fish for near as much as warm water.