PDA

View Full Version : Clinch = Not so good

waterwolf
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Floated yesterday with the high water, and landed 1 fish. Had a few others swipe at the fly, but overall it was horribly slow. Somewhat to be expected because of the water volume, but also thought we might turn more then we did. Maybe by the time turkey season ends the water will be at a more reasonable level.

Rodonthefly
03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
I can see that, I'm dieing to go now that I got the boat done ,but i'm thinking i'll finish the honey do list. Kill a turkey and then we should be good. But I have heard tell of a few being caught up around clear creek.

MadisonBoats
03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I bet it was nice to get out and be on the river! I would think most of the big boys are in a holding pattern on the bottom and behind structures to maximize their Karman Gait (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qr0XVAeYrE). I am hoping to catch one of the 'Big Toms' this year on a larger streamer. I was actually tying some this evening to try and attract some of these finicky trophy fish. I am thinking flies: heavy, long, and flashy....

I hope to get some time on the river tomorrow and to catch a fish.:rolleyes: It will be challenging like Waterwolf stated with the high flows to just present the fly....The last time I threw big and weighted streamers I received a nice nose cut.:redface:

Wilson10
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Clinch River withdrawal is in full swing.

I saw a couple guys fishing from a small jon boat up next to the dam this past weekend. The water was really moving. They appeared to be throwing spinners or small plugs.

With all this time off from fishing, I sure wish I could create more time to do some tying, but that just hasn't happened lately.

Shawn, let us know if you got out and battled the roaring clinch and if you managed to hook up.