PDA

View Full Version : From Cosby Campground to "A Mansion Just Over the Hilltop"

JoeFred
03-15-2011, 12:25 AM
My love of fishing in the Smokies came from my parents and five siblings getting to escape the farm each summer for a week of camping in Chimneys Campground and, later on, at Cosby. My mother made it all happen. Many times as a kid perched on boulders in the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River I was mesmerized by the small trout holding in the rapid flow below. I’m thinking, “Man! How would you ever catch one of those? I mean... the ‘floater’ is not going to stay in place long enough for anything to bite!” It was not until nearly fifty years later when I discovered the sport that I first caught a trout on a fly in the park. After a seven year hiatus in Nashville, my wife, whom I met at the Cosby Campground over 40 years ago, and I returned to East Tennessee in 2007. Just last year I caught my first speckled trout… out of Cosby Creek.

My dear mother passed away yesterday at the age of 95. I can stll visualize her cooking on the little Coleman.

JF

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear that, Fred. Hard to lose a parent. Keep your chin up.

whitefeather
03-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Joe,

My sincere condolences on the passing of your mother. Moms are the most special people in all the world!

Crockett
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Fred I am so sorry to hear about that. I wish I had taken Jack up there to meet her and hear stories about his great mamaw. I know you are ok but if you need anything friend let me know.
Adam

silvercreek
03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
My condolences, Joe.

caught 108
03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Sorry about your loss.Prayers are sent,Mom's are the Best.

pmike
03-15-2011, 10:06 AM
It's never easy to experience the passing of one we love, especially one who invested so much into our lives by way of loving, caring for, and nurturing us. I pray the pleasant memories of the past along with the eternal hope in Jesus of the future, will eclipse the present grief of your Mom's having passed.

God Bless & Comfort you and your family in Jesus' Name,

Mike

MadisonBoats
03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
My love of fishing in the Smokies came from my parents and five siblings getting to escape the farm each summer for a week of camping in Chimneys Campground and, later on, at Cosby. My mother made it all happen. Many times as a kid perched on boulders in the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River I was mesmerized by the small trout holding in the rapid flow below. I’m thinking, “Man! How would you ever catch one of those? I mean... the ‘floater’ is not going to stay in place long enough for anything to bite!” It was not until nearly fifty years later when I discovered the sport that I first caught a trout on a fly in the park. After a seven year hiatus in Nashville, my wife, whom I met at the Cosby Campground over 40 years ago, and I returned to East Tennessee in 2007. Just last year I caught my first speckled trout… out of Cosby Creek.

My dear mother passed away yesterday at the age of 95. I can stll visualize her cooking on the little Coleman.

JF

I offer my condolences to you and your family! She will always be with you and live through you! I enjoy reading your post and I could visualize it very well.
Blessings to you bud!
SM

Ky Tim
03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your mother. I am sure it is not easy, but you have the memories and hopefully they will bring you comfort through the years.

GrouseMan77
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother and will keep your family in my prayers.

Knothead
03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Our condolences on the loss of your mother. Ninety-five years is a long and meaningful life. Your memories remind me of times with my father and, later, the wife and kids.

Paula Begley
03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, JoeFred.

Paula

pineman19
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry for your loss JoeFred.

Neal

JayB
03-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry for your loss JoeFred, but its great that you have those wonderful memories.

buzzmcmanus
03-17-2011, 02:27 PM
JoeFred, Sorry for your loss.

JoeFred
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank you to everyone for your very kind words.

Carolina Kudzu
03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. You and you family are in my prayers.

Barbara
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
So sorry for your loss, JoeFred. Your post was so eloquent. Made me think of my childhood and fishing trips with my Dad. He worked magic on his little green Coleman.