PDA

View Full Version : An honest to goodness fishing report!

GrouseMan77
03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Lots and lots of activity of the ole LRO message board lately. Seems like a lot more talking than fishing. I had made a promise to give an honest to goodness fishing report over the weekend. Well, I wasn't able to make it out...until today.

I didn't have to go to the office today and Grannyknot decided he could stand a full day in his while I was out fishing. We headed up to harass the trout that reside in Little River. It was pretty cool and cloudy when we got started. The water level was a little high for my liking but I ain't gonna wait on it. The double nymph rig wasn't on long when we noticed some bugs. A quick switch to a Quill Gordon dry with a Q.G. wet seemed to be just what they wanted. We didn't exactly kill them but we did catch a fair number of trout. Granny managed one brown and the rest of our day was filled with rainbows. Just about every fish was keeper size. I didn't take many pictures but here is a couple.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/5533016077_8213cfec9e.jpg

Check out the marks on this guy. Probably from an otter with a switchblade or something. ;)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5533015777_2ba7ed83b3.jpg

A warning to the fish of Deep Creek...I will have my frying pan with me. :rolleyes:

pineman19
03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Jason,

Good job! I am heading that way in the morning for a few days. Can I ask if you were above or below the campground? You can email me if you like.

Neal

pineman19@yahoo.com

GrouseMan77
03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Jason,

Good job! I am heading that way in the morning for a few days. Can I ask if you were above or below the campground? You can email me if you like.

Neal

pineman19@yahoo.com

Above. Hardly anyone else fishing. Good luck.

rbreedi1
03-16-2011, 09:39 PM
thanks for the report and nice fish! what kind of rod you fishing there?

Greenie
03-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice fish. I was in Elkmont around 2, and it was 42 degrees and cloudy. I see you have some sun in the pictures; you must have been fishing later in the evening. I fished Jake's Creek for about 30 minutes before realizing my long sleeved shirt wasn't cutting it. I headed into Townsend for a bite to eat and fished WPLR from 4 until 7 and caught 6, but nothing anywhere close to what you have in those pics. In fact, the largest I caught was about 6-7 inches. Below is my monster of the day. HAHA.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/dshrop07/IMAG0020.jpg

rbreedi1
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice rainbow greenie

whitefeather
03-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Grouseman,

Nice pics and fish! The water looks pretty good in that first pic! Hope it stays that way! Thanks for posting!

ChemEAngler
03-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Lots and lots of activity of the ole LRO message board lately. Seems like a lot more talking than fishing. I had made a promise to give an honest to goodness fishing report over the weekend. Well, I wasn't able to make it out...until today.

I didn't have to go to the office today and Grannyknot decided he could stand a full day in his while I was out fishing. We headed up to harass the trout that reside in Little River. It was pretty cool and cloudy when we got started. The water level was a little high for my liking but I ain't gonna wait on it. The double nymph rig wasn't on long when we noticed some bugs. A quick switch to a Quill Gordon dry with a Q.G. wet seemed to be just what they wanted. We didn't exactly kill them but we did catch a fair number of trout. Granny managed one brown and the rest of our day was filled with rainbows. Just about every fish was keeper size. I didn't take many pictures but here is a couple.

Nice report Jason. Sure is good to see more reports populating the forum. I expect there to be an explosion soon once all the spring breakers start getting in on the action.

Wish I could get out again this weekend, unfortunately work obligations will probably keep me off the water for the better part of three weeks :frown:

flyman
03-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Nice to know someone is catching a few :biggrin:

JayB
03-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Good to see the fish are warming up. I was thinking of taking the boys to the backcountry this weekend, and this just settles it!

Boys get your packs, daddy's goin' fishin!

buzzmcmanus
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Grouseman, Thanks for the report.

Wish I could get out again this weekend, unfortunately work obligations will probably keep me off the water for the better part of three weeks :frown:

Hopefully I'll be making some reports in the near future, but right now, I'm in the same boat. I may try to slip out for a couple hours this weekend, but it will have to be a short trip if I can go at all.

jeffnles1
03-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Love seeing the fishing reports start to flow in. It's been far too long!

mattblick
03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the reports!

I was down 2 weekends ago for one night and got skunked on WPLR, but had fun weathering the elements in the back country. Two inches of rain overnight and waking up to snow Sunday morning (3/6) was really fun.

Seventeen days and I will be fishing down there again; these reports help with the wait..

spotlight
03-22-2011, 01:07 AM
A warning to the fish of Deep Creek...I will have my frying pan with me. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to Deep Creek are you guys heading up Friday? I talked with Cody he is hiking in on Friday I hope to be there by 12-1 on Friday.

GrouseMan77
03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Looking forward to Deep Creek are you guys heading up Friday? I talked with Cody he is hiking in on Friday I hope to be there by 12-1 on Friday.

If we are able to make it Friday it will be late in the afternoon. I'll email you when I get back in town.