PDA

View Full Version : new GSMNP guide book ready for release

Don Kirk
03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Greg Ward & I have teamed up author Ultimate Fly Fishing Guide to the Smoky Mountains (Menasha Ridge Press). It will be available any day. We're excited about its release. My previous GSMNP guide books sold over 100,000 copies. This one is the best yet and will be followed by four other books on southern fly fishing/flies. Please feel free to contact me for more info. This is about all there is tell now other than seeing the cover at the Menasha Ridge Press web site.
Any who, it's nice to resurface at the back of the pool.
Cheers,
dk

Paula Begley
03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Gee, Don. Wish you'd mentioned that in our emails. I'm sure we'll be thrilled to carry it in the shop.

Paula

tennswede
03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Don,

Glad to see you are around these parts. Your books both of em' has taught a lot of people the wherabouts of these mountain trout. I can't wait for your new book.

Mac
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Don,

Is this your new book or is this one of the originals?

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Fly-Fishing-Guide-Smoky-Mountains/dp/0897326911

The Ultimate Fly-Fishing Guide to the Smoky Mountains

mattblick
03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Look forward to reading your book, Don. I have one of your older titles,(Fly-Fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains), and got good use out of it.

Be sure to get Paula to carry your book. I have too many rods and reels and tie most of my flies; as a result I have been buying books on my too infrequent visits to the Begley's fine store. I will be down there May 1st when your book comes out.

-Matt-

Don Kirk
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
The format is largely the same, and of course with the exceptions of updates the trail and BC sites are the same. Fly and flies (499 aquatic insects noted) info is expanded, and the history section also is largely new. Greg has contributed a lot in terms of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and on smallmouth bass. There is a lot more anecdotal stuff such as Abner the Fly Fishing Ape of Deep Creek and other similarly valuable information. It does not suffer from lack of tongue-in-cheek comments.
dk

pineman19
03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Don,

I broke my bones fishing in the Smokies with your first book, purchased the second a few years later. Many a good time had poring over those books before and during my first years of fishing in the Park. Great to have you aboard and hearing that you have a new book in the works!

Neal

flyman
03-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi Don,
Looking forward to yours and Greg's new book. I am very interested in old smoky mountain patterns and their history. Looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

See ya on the stream,
Flyman/Steve Yates

03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Will definitely obtain a copy of yours and Gregs book. Thirty years ago your book was very useful to me as a new smokies trout fisherman. In fact I still refer to it (both of them). Welcome to the forum and I look forward to your posts.

Lee

Ky Tim
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Looking forward to reading it Don. Thanks for the heads up.

JoeFred
03-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Don, it's good to hear from you. Your earlier book was my first on fishing the Park and the inspiration for my getting into making maps. I hope to meet up with you soon... perhaps at TroutFest?

Slipstream
03-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Mr. Kirk:

Like many others who posted, I poured over your book as I started my forays into the park, which I have now been doing for over a decade.

One thing that piqued my curiosity, and has puzzled me since, are the numerous photographs of the large fish that you and your family caught in Park waters. Many of these were rainbows. There are numerous photos in the original edition of 14 to 18 inch fish coming to hand. These pictures certainly gave me fish envy.

Knowing what the biologists are saying today about average fish size in the park (with rainbows averaging 7 inches), I wonder if you address in your updated edition how the fishing and average catch size has changed over the years? You are certainly well qualified to give perspective on whether the quality of the fishing has changed in the Smokies since your original guide was published.

tennswede
03-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Can't speak for Mr. Kirk, but remember that the park service stocked rainbows in certain streams until 1975 or thereabouts. Could have something to do with it. I assume some of those pictures are from the seventies. Just an educated guess from me.

mayday
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Ha ha ha. I went to elementary school and high school with Greg....I did not know he could write! He could play football though. I still ache!

GrouseMan77
03-23-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm also looking forward to the new book. Hope you guys do well with the project.

tjw37909
05-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I have read the majority of this new book, and it appears to be an almost exact copy of the old book with information added in from Mr. Ward. Much of the information such as brown trout in WPLP is very outdated, and the last time I heard of a brown coming from Greenbrier(MPLP) was over 15 years ago. I have seen people catch "browns" in both streams when tourists catch a creek chub and think it a brown because it is a brown colored fish. I am not trying to disrespect Mr. Kirk, as his writing and fishing skills are far beyond my own, but I would like to see a book on the Smokies with updated information, and in which the "bases of operation" does not include at least 2 shops that have not been in business in almost 2 years. I am not trying to start an argument with anyone. I am just stating what I observed from what I have read of the book so far.