PDA

View Full Version : my son "out fished" me!

jross
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
He got me whipped on the numbers! but I had him on size! And here's the kicker.....he's 6 years old!

We went out, father and son, to our little easy access practice stream. He had a real nice one on the but it did the bungee rod thing and got away. We got over a dozen at our first location. Then we headed to Tremont.

He started catching little fellers at the first big pool. He wore out after a few hours. He got more tuckered as time went on without catchin many fish. We managed about half a dozen(?) I'd say...

really hard to get rises out of 'em today. Most of the fish I caught were on a fly I just "made up" that looked like a QG wet/soft hackle.

I hope to get some pictures next time.....

And now daddy wants to do some fishing without worry about his son falling, drowning, breaking a bone, snagging himself, getting bitten by critters, attacked by panthers or bears or coyotes, or approached by criminals!!! Grandma and mommy woulda been a nervous wreck if they'd seen what he was doing and where he was today!!!:eek:

pineman19
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Good deal jross. I don't have kids, but I would be happy if had any and they were able to out fish when they were six years old. Great to see you're getting him involved in flyfishing at a young age.

Neal

Ky Tim
03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a good time jross. My fly fishing partner is getting ready to turn 16 and is now interested in girls and cars.

JayB
03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Awesome! He's a talented young man to be so young and hooking up with fish . He's doing better than a lot of us! (I've been skunked every trip this year so far!)

jeffnles1
03-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Get used to it. It only gets worse. My son is 16, out fishes me all the time, and the when we were in the mountains last fall, the brat actually held his hand out to help me across a very slippery spot on the stream.

To make matters worse, I took his hand and was glad I did.

It seems like it was yesterday that I was concerned about him in swift water or concerned that he would slip and fall. Now, the tables have turned and he is the one helping me. He's young, strong as an ox and has reflexes like a cat.

Glad to hear you're enjoying fishing with your son. There's nothing like it.

Jeff

Mac
03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Get used to it. It only gets worse. My son is 16, out fishes me all the time, and the when we were in the mountains last fall, the brat actually held his hand out to help me across a very slippery spot on the stream.

To make matters worse, I took his hand and was glad I did.

It seems like it was yesterday that I was concerned about him in swift water or concerned that he would slip and fall. Now, the tables have turned and he is the one helping me. He's young, strong as an ox and has reflexes like a cat.

Glad to hear you're enjoying fishing with your son. There's nothing like it.

Jeff

At that age they make good Sherpa's. :rolleyes: