PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Spur

cardfly
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey there everybody,

I will be coming down the first week of April and will be staying in a cabin on the Spur.

Any place better than others to fish?

Thanks for any info.

pineman19
03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Cardfly,

If you don't mind a little walking, consider hiking around 3 miles up the Little River Trail and getting in the water. My favorite section of that river.

Neal

cardfly
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Pineman,

I like that area as well. We are staying in a cabin on the spur and I was going to get a little early day fishing before the family wakes up.

Hoping to just jump down to the spur and do a couple of hours each morning.

pmike
03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but could you tell me what or where the "spur" is? Might it be the section from the Townsend Y out toward Cades Cove?

Mike

cardfly
03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike,

I understand, it took me awhile to catch on to the names of things. I still get all the "prongs" mixed up.

The spur is the road going from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg. Everytime I drive through I think I should fish it.

Bran
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I've fished there some, I'll also be staying there in June so I'll probably hop down there a few mornings. If you go up toward the G_Burg bypass merger then you're right at the tail end of the kids/ handicapped fishing section so there's bound to be some larger brood fish stocked there that move down a bit. Also way on down toward Huskey Grove Rd. and Flat Branch Rd. right between there was pretty good to me a couple summers back when we rented a cabin right there.

SmokyMt4runner
03-23-2011, 01:43 AM
The spur fishes well at times.

Some very well respected fly fisherman will give you MANY good reasons not to fish the spur. Although, these same folks can be seen dredging the spur in the dead of winter.......:biggrin:. I travel the spur twice a day.

If it were me...I would leave an hr early. Jump on the by-pass and be in the Elkmont area at first light. 15-20 minute drive at that time of the morning.

Good luck!

SmokyMt4runner
03-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Almost forgot. If you are going to fish the spur, you might want to get the g-burg daily permit.

I think the spur above the welcome center will require the permit. I can recall a day i spoke with a park ranger about it.

Cheers

pmike
03-23-2011, 09:26 AM
So many areas to fish, it's sometimes kinda hard to keep up with them. I recall when the "spur" was bordered by a single lane road on either side and had several pullover's with picnic tables. Our family had a picnic lunch many an afternoon along there and used to always carry a watermelon down to chill in the water as we ate sandwiches.

Mike

fourx
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
cardfly-

A good place to fish is where Norton creek comes in. This creek will be on your right heading from pforge to gatlinburg.
Norton's goes under the road. Put in upstream where the creek comes in and fish the deep holes downstream from it. There is a road that goes right where the creek is, I think "Norton" is in it's name somewhere.
That's the "fishiest" part of the spur that I know of.

Good luck,
4X