PDA

View Full Version : NC side from Sunday through Wed

JohnH0802
03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I am finally getting up to the smokies this year for the first time in too long. I fishing partner is making his first trip up since he moved to the Florida Keys, and my 16yo daughter and her friend will be going.

My daughter loved to fly fish, but we will be staying at a tent site in the Cherokee KOA so that she has a place to shower. I will say she is game. She will fish all day with Larry and I, with no complaints. That is a key reason she gets to come on Larry and my trips. She wants that shower though.

I am hoping the weather cooperates for at least a couple of the days. I am thinking about hitting Bradley's fork, Straight Fork, the Luftee/road prong. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be in a light blue Mitsubishi Outlander with SC tags, say hello.

John

Carolina Kudzu
03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Straight Fork fished great today. Plenty of fish rising to dries. Also caught some on nymphs. Water level is just about right.

whitefeather
03-23-2011, 02:49 AM
I am hoping the weather cooperates for at least a couple of the days. I am thinking about hitting Bradley's fork, Straight Fork, the Luftee/road prong. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be in a light blue Mitsubishi Outlander with SC tags, say hello.

John

John,

Try the Luftee right behind the Oconaluftee Visitors Center. Turn right at the bridge past it. Turn right immediately into the parking lot of the Jobs Corp Center. Park down where the parking space lines end up against the river side. Take foot path to river right behind where you parked. You'll find several nice spots between this lot and the visitors center north parking lot.

Also the Luftee at the bridge that crosses over to the Smokemont Campground road. Parking lot to your right just after bridge. From the horse stables area up to the confluence of Bradley always fishes good.
Try some brown stone fly nymphs or some golden stone nymphs with a couple of split shot if not already weighted. You might want to also use a small strike indicator.

Hint! This is major brown trout territory in late March, early April! Also some nice (sizeable) brook trout. These guys tend to stay down, but may also take some dries in the swirls and eddies, current seams in late afternoon.

Now bring me back some pics and a fantastic fishing report!

JohnH0802
03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Whitefeather and Carolina Kudzu,
Thanks for the information, and I will try and catch some fish so that I can post some pictures and have an interesting report.

John

pineman19
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
John,

Bradley Fork is one my favorite streams as well. Some nice water starting from the trailhead and I also like the area just below and around Cabin Flats.

Neal