PDA

View Full Version : New to Tailwaters

bias5246
03-23-2011, 12:34 AM
So, I'm interested in trying to fish the S. Holston and/or the Clinch sometime soon. I'm hoping someone can give me some information about access to the Soho, how many generators can be running for it to still be wadeable, typical flies for late spring. Any info would be appreciated!

pineman19
03-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Bias,

As far as the SOHO, it is pretty difficult to wade on even ONE generator if you're fishing the first few miles below the weir. You can work along the edges if you're careful and know the river well, but have an ability to get out of the water fasts if things get dicey! I don't recommend it until you have fished the river a few times and see how the water rises in an area after one generator is running. Check out the link to the South Holston Fly Shop, they are within a mile or so of a major access area to the SOHO.

Good luck,

Neal

http://southholstonriverflyshop.com/reports/

bias5246
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info! So, would you say it's possible to wade when no generators are running? Also, could I run it in a canoe?

pineman19
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Very good wading on no generators bias. Can be a little slick with rock snot, but most of the river for a ways below the weir is fairly shallow, except for some deeper runs. Look at the hatch charts on the link I pasted and you'll be in good shape.

Neal

JoeFred
03-24-2011, 07:51 AM
... Also, could I run it in a canoe?

Most definitely. Once, while I and others, were struggling during a Riverbend area sulfur hatch, a smug lookin' dude:smile:, his canoe and his dry smoothly drifted by... his hooking up on at least every other cast.

As Neal said, check with the Champions at South Holston Fly Shop. I will add Eddie Wyatt & Todd at Fly Shop of Tennessee (http://www.flyshopoftn.com/) in nearby Johnson City.

Good luck. Please report back to us.

JF

Randy Ratliff
03-26-2011, 09:48 AM

bias5246
03-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks! The info is very helpful. I'm hoping to go sometime in April.

bias5246
03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Are there places to camp around the SOHO or any cheap places to stay?

pineman19
03-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Check out the Cherokee National Forest campgrounds in that area. I have stayed at Little Oak, Cardens Bluff and Backbone are pretty close to the SOHO as well.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/chercmp.htm

Neal

Randy Ratliff
03-27-2011, 09:23 AM

MadisonBoats
03-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I would suggest getting a guide on your first trip to any tail water you plan on fishing more than once. They are very knowledgeable about the conditions and they can help keep you from getting in a bad situation on your own.

Randy is one that I would highly recommend due to his willingness to help and share information on this forum.:smile:

*I usually stay in the water on the S. Holston on a one-generator pulse. The fishing is insane during this time on streamers.

**The Clinch is a death trap on one-generator and above!