PDA

View Full Version : Last fish in Tremont

Barbara
03-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Fished Tremont yesterday. But for a sad little rainbow I would have been Skunked. I am pretty sure the little rainbow was eaten by the THING I caught later. Does anyone remember what Arnold Schwarzenegger said to the monster in Predator? Sorry. :redface:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/Picture003-1.jpg

Barbara
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Oh I forgot to say Jack lost his glasses at Tremont yesterday. Mens glasses on black cord with silver locator device attached. Probably washed to Knoxville by now but if anyone finds them please email me at trout.2620@hotmail.com or leave at desk at Big Meadow Campground or LRO in Townsend. Thanks!

whitefeather
03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I never seem to fail to catch a big redhorse while I'm fishing the Smokies, usually on the NC side! But actually they are quite tasty (but bony) when deep fried along with morel mushrooms!

When you get a lemon, make lemonade.

MBB
03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
That is a big Horneyhead (technically a Stoneroller). Some of the mountain folk prefer eating them to trout.

Barbara
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I've caught little ones before. This is the largest one I've ever seen and the greenish stripe was more prominent than on little ones. I ain't eating nothing that ugly unless I am a lot hungrier than I am now!

jross
03-25-2011, 11:07 AM
for what it's worth.... I think the stonerollers are in the chub family. And I know that chubs are some awesome bait for most any fish. So if fish really like those fish, then maybe they taste pretty good.

BTW, my dad used to call Creek Chubs "poor man's trout".

whitefeather
03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
They all kind of resemble the old white suckers we have here in the midwest. Being bottom muck feeders most folks will throw 'em back, but catch them in a clear limestone stream in spring and they are very clean and good eating.

Once you lop off its head, you won't notice anymore, well maybe not! LOL!

Aint nothin' uglier than a snapping turtle, but then again another delicacy hard to beat.

Barbara
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
If it tastes like turtle, then I would eat it! But I bet it tastes like carp.

Mundele
03-26-2011, 11:44 PM
I've got relatives that fish specifically for horneyheads... Also build dams across the creeks and use minnow traps to catch them too. I usually manage to catch one or two while fishing in the slower pools.

--Matt

Barbara
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
OK I stand corrected. Next big one, I'll pan fry and try it out. Live and learn!

whitefeather
03-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Barbara,

If you decide to keep one to eat, soak the meat in vinegar for a couple of hours or so. The vinegar will remove the fishes protective "slime" and bitter, wild taste. Enjoy!