PDA

View Full Version : Roaring Fork was good to me today

mayday
03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Fished three hours on Roaring Fork from the park entrance upstream to Indian Camp Br. Very nice! 14 rainbows ranging from 3" to 13". All took the BHPT nymph. I had a light cahill on top but none took it. Nice stream to navigate.

The only problem is parking. I asked a homeowner to park in their driveway and she was very receptive. It helps that I am from Gatlinburg!

Barbara
03-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Mayday,

I really enjoy Roaring Fork. I do not know Indian Camp Branch. Is that above the first cabin after you enter the park on the one-way road? Or are you talking about the other end of Roaring Fork?

Crockett
03-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Cool Jeff glad you had good luck today. I fished around Elkmont after work and caught 2 bows and 2 browns one brown was 10". He fought hard but when I got him in he just laid there on the rock. I caught him next to the road and I swear I think he had been caught before and was actually waiting for me to take the hook out and let him go. I just got that feeling. Unfortunately for him he became dinner for me and I cooked him right there next to the road on my esbit stove with some olive oil lol. Let the other 3 go they were all keeper size though.

I also fished Laurel branch from the quiet walkway. Fished it the whole length of the walkway but only got some splashes at my dry in one hole so there is trout in there but from the splashes must be tiny. I did see what appeared to be a railroad car that is covered up with rocks. It is right before you get to Laurel branch if you bear to the left after starting the trail. You can see one of the wheels still attached to it among other stuff.

I like Roaring fork better than the little river. I prefer plunge pools where you can fish above you from the next level down seems to be much better for not spooking fish. I hate the big wide open flat runs on the little river and always spook fish in those type places. Ever fished up Indian Camp branch I wonder how it fishes?

SmokyMt4runner
03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Complete fluke im sayin.......

There are no fish in Roaring Fork.......lol

Glad to see you had a great day.

Cheers

mayday
03-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Tell all your friends "There are no fish in Roaring Fork"

Adam...I have not noticed the wheels nor the car. Describe the site again in more detail. I want to go check it out. I will ask Dwight if he knows anything about it.

No...I have not fished up Indian Camp from Roaring Fork.

Indian Camp is on the end of the motor nature trail about a mile or so from the end.

jross
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I had roaring fork on my "to do list" for break. I never made it. I fished it one time last year. It is a fun stream. Sounds like a good day for you.

3"-13" huh? is 13 unusual for a stream like that?

Crockett
03-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Jeff here is how I found out about it with a picture. It is near Laurel Branch not too hard to find right next to the quiet walkway:
http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/photo/tell-me?xg_source=activity

Mundele
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Hey Adam.... Glad to hear you caught dinner! Sounds like that brown wanted to be eaten if he just laid there...

I guess you didn't fish Twentymile on Saturday... Plans change huh?

--Matt

Crockett
03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Hey Adam.... Glad to hear you caught dinner! Sounds like that brown wanted to be eaten if he just laid there...

I guess you didn't fish Twentymile on Saturday... Plans change huh?

--Matt

Yes plans changed as you know lol. Amanda got some snow up at Silers Bald and came back early. You know I was going to fish this morning but believed what the forecasters said about the all day rain and never left the house. Instead I sat here all day looking out the window waiting for it to rain which didn't happen till almost dark lol.

Jeff, Matt is also a hanger and is pretty active on hammockforums. He and I sit around and watch Shug videos whenever we get a chance. Wooo buddy... Is Ely, MN near where Shug lives?

pineman19
03-27-2011, 07:59 AM
I had roaring fork on my "to do list" for break. I never made it. I fished it one time last year. It is a fun stream. Sounds like a good day for you.

3"-13" huh? is 13 unusual for a stream like that?

jross, there are stockers that wander upstream of G-Burg. I caught 13-14 bow several years around 1/2 mile above the Park Boundary.

Neal

Mundele
03-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Woo Buddy! Shug is a hoot. I didn't make any fishing plans yesterday either and then noticed that it didn't rain til last night also. Would've been great with the overcast sky.

--Matt

mayday
03-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Whoo buddy! I talk about him all the time. He lives in Roseville, MN near the twin cities. I am a subscriber to his youtube channel and get all the new vids. He is a hoot!