PDA

View Full Version : forgive me for I have "spinned"

jross
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
My stay is over and i wanted to catch another fish or two. I stopped at Metcalf but with the dreary conditions and nightfall approaching it was very dark. I got a bump on a wooly "booger". Figured I change up and try a rooster tail.

First cast, BAM, 8-9 inch rainbow.
and a short time later and 10" brown....and with lightning flashing I went back to the car.

2 fish in a couple minutes......

Sometimes you just can't beat a black and silver spinner!

MadisonBoats
03-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Nice title! I had to look. I will ocassionally throw a spinning rod when the conditions are not favorable for fly fishing in a group/etc. I only throw one lure and that is a heavy gold vibrax. Before I got addicted to fly fishing; my brother and I had a few trips of breaking the 100 fish mark for the day.:eek:

Now; I just need to get them to hit my flies like that....

Mundele
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I've thought of doing the same, getting a spinning rod for just those same occasions. Gold vibrax huh? I'll have to look those up.

mayday
03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I like that quote on your signature line. Who came up with that?

MadisonBoats
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
I've thought of doing the same, getting a spinning rod for just those same occasions. Gold vibrax huh? I'll have to look those up.

That lure absolutely kills trout. My brother still fishes it and still fishes with a spinning rod:frown:. Be sure to cut off one of the treble hooks and crush the barbs. Get the heaviest one you can find.

I like that quote on your signature line. Who came up with that?

I borrowed the quote from Stephen R. Covey....

duckypaddler
03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Jross,

Was it the spinning rod or the fact that you were fishing dusk? I have had slow days that go crazy at nightfall leaving me to be late, upsetting the wife, as well as having to hike out after dark.:eek:

I take a small spin rod in my set-up, but haven't been tempted enough yet to use it. I'll need to give it a try. I think Raven Fork Gorge would be the perfect place to take one. I would love to catch the fish at the bottom of those pools that are 15 feet deep or so;)

Sean - Can I be in your "circle of influence"?:biggrin:

Just kidding good quotes:smile:

jross
03-29-2011, 08:28 AM
It was very very dark and the fish were defineatly not turned on. I knew I couldn't see my dry/dropper and I just quite couldn't get the whole streamer thing to work. So I reverted back to what I know best....spinning.

I know that I've used the black spinner many times. The spinner is only the size of a wooly bugger, so any size trout can take it. I've used it in the summer as well to good results....nothing near 100 trout days though!

MadisonBoats
03-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Jross,
Sean - Can I be in your "circle of influence"?:biggrin:
Just kidding good quotes:smile:

Sure, you just have to spell my name right first:biggrin:

...... I've used it in the summer as well to good results....nothing near 100 trout days though!

This lure right here will do you right if you are spin fishing and just want to catch fish. It kind of bores me to just catch them over and over on a spinning rod. That is why I started fly fishing.

-A number 2 - 3/16 oz is a decent size; but, a number 3 - 1/4 oz. lets you double the distance of your casts and pull the lure through un-spooked water. This is the key. Plus, this lure starts spinning perfect at the first crank; unlike most rooster tails. Remember to use good 4# line too and spool it correctly from the line pack. My brother smokes me on numbers when he throws this thing and I fly fish. But, he is slowly coming around to the beauty of fly fishing.

*I know it does seem unbelievable that anyone could have 100 trout days; but, they used to happen a couple of times a year when I was younger growing up on the Clinch. He usually gets about one a year now if he takes a newbie fishing. He does not harvest any fish and cuts all the barbs and a few of the hooks off to help protect them from getting mortally injured.
http://www.bluefox.com/images/lure_images/vibrax_plated/vibrax_plated_200.jpg

duckypaddler
03-31-2011, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=MadisonBoats;91776]Sure, you just have to spell my name right first:biggrin:

:redface: Sorry Shawn!:redface:

MBB
04-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Repent, Spinner!