PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Virginia, there really are fish in Tremont!

Stana Claus
03-27-2011, 06:06 PM
My son & I spent the day last Friday, 3/25, fishing in the Park with one of the local guides. We started the day wanting to improve our nymphing technique and learn how to better fish a typical pocket-water type stream, both of which we accomplished quite nicely, thank you. I brought to hand 8 or 9 rainbows, ranging from pretty small to decent sized, LDR’d about another half dozen, and completely whiffed on at least 20 more. My son caught 6, LDR’d a few, and missed just as many, if not more, than I did. We both REALLY need to work on our reaction times, so I guess we’ll just have to practice, practice, practice.

It was kind of cool & cloudy early, so we started the day working with the nymphs. We caught a few, spooked few, and missed a bunch, but we made some progress. Then, on toward lunch time, the sun came out, the temperature warmed up a bit, the bugs started hatching, and the trout started looking up. We switched over to dries and it was game on! The best moment came when a nice 8”+/- rainbow came completely out of the water to take a shot at my son’s fly. My son hollered, “He went all Shark Week on that one, Dad!” I think it will be awhile before the smile he had on his face fades away. Later that afternoon, the clouds came back, the breeze picked up, it cooled back down a bit, and the fishing slowed way back down as well. We still managed to get a few rises and draw some interest in the flies, but not nearly like it was earlier.

Anyway, we had a great day of fishing, learned what we were doing wrong and how to do it right, and proved that there really are fish to be caught right there in the Park. Now it will be up to us to get back out there as often as we can and, like I said before, practice, practice, practice.

jross
03-27-2011, 09:26 PM
I remember when I went with my once and only guide. Had an indicater on and the guide kept saying "there's one!" "there's one!" "get it" "there's another." It took my awhile to realize those little things were actually hits.

quite a few times out I've tried fishing tight line/without indicater nymphing as a way to practice my speed and fish sensing ability.

Good to hear you guys had a great time.

Dawgvet
03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey Stana, I've been wanting to brush up on my nymphing as well. Any chance you could let me know which local guide you were fishing with?

Stana Claus
03-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Dawgvet - I didn't include his name because, as best I can tell, he's not a member of this board and I wasn't sure how the board sponsors would feel about that. If you would like send an email to me at srstarkey at comcast dot net, I'd be glad to tell you all about it.

duckypaddler
03-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I really don't think that the LRO would mind naming the guide. I thought they even got out of the guiding game, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know they have always seems supportive of local guides many of which come in for the free tying clases etc.

While I have never hired Ian Rutter to be my guide, I have worked with him on the Lynn Camp Restoration, and he is am impressive guy:biggrin: He is on the water more than anyone I know. You will run into him or his car at the most obvious places, then again in very remote places where you're sure you will have solitude. Not to many people I know move accross the stream with such grace, especially with a $1500 camera around there neck!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=465

Ooh - and Bill might fish as much as Ian:eek:

Stan _ I hope I didn't offend.

Tim Doyle, Walter Babb, Hugh Hartsell, Ian Rutter are all top notch guides anyone should be thrilled to hire:biggrin:

Stana Claus
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
No problem, James. I know Ian is a sponsor on one of the other regional forums, and I had no problem with giving him his due credit over there, but didn't want to take a chance on stepping on anyone's toes over here. For what it's worth, I was really wanting to go fishing with Hugh Hartsell myself, but Sam (my son) has watched some of Ian's videos and lobbied hard to book our trip with him. Since this was really his Spring Break trip, I conceded and we spent the day with a well qualified guide who was much closer to my son's age and who my son was already rather impressed with. All in all, I think it worked out quite well. And for those of you playing at home and haven't figured it out yet, we're talking about Ian Rutter of R & R Fly Fishing. He did an excellent job working with us, covered all of the things we wanted to learn about, was very personable, and was generally just an all around great guy to spend a day in the park fishing with. I think we both made significant gains up the learning curve and are looking forward to putting what we learned into practice as often as we can.

PS. Next time I have the opportunity, I'm booking a trip with Hugh so I can pick his brain as well. After I practice enough to feel like I'm fairly proficient at nymphing, I might even sign up for his Advanced Nymphing Class. I don't care if it harelips the Pope.