PDA

View Full Version : reel questions

flyred06
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Well I finally done it. I broke down and bought my first Abel reel. It is a super 3n standard arbor. It came in saturday and I can say from all that I see, feel and tell about the reel it is very nice. I am thinking about upgrading all my reels to abels based on this reel, however, I have no experience with them. What are some of your opinions/experiences good and bad before I sink this much money into this project. PLEASE HELP. Currently I have orvis and ross reels. Just so you know what I am comparing to. Thanks

BIGBR
03-27-2011, 10:04 PM
I hope you enjoy your new reel. I have a 5N large arbor and like it. In my opinion it's not worth the money to upgrade all of your reels to Able. I dont care for the newer Orvis reels and have never owned a Ross. To me the able is a very nice reel but not even close to being worth the money. I have became a huge fan of the Bauer Rouge reels. They are low maintenance, lower cost, have a great drag system, lifetime warranty, great customer service, good looks, and are the smoothest reel on the market. I know opinions vary and I will probably get crucified for not worshiping the all mighty Able. But the fact is there are other quality reels on the market that are a much better value.

flyred06
03-28-2011, 08:06 AM
I to looked at the bauer reels. Honestly it was my first choice. I do not know why but all of a sudden the abels just drew me to them. But I do appreciate your imput and I just like you are not big fans of these newer orvis reels and deffinately want to upgrade. May take another look at the bauers. Thanks

Heavynets
03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Something to keep in mind:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7821831/

Trico
03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
My wife and I currently have three Abel reels. Two of which have the trout type finishes. These are really neat looking. Even so I have to admit they are not needed for most trout fishing situations. I think the Abel design is better suited to heavier rods. The only disadvantage I know of is the cork drag can ice up and slip in really cold weather. I have not experienced this but friends have. There are a lot of nice and very high quality reels out there. For small weight rods the Tibor spring creek series are a very nice reel. I have one on a Winston Tom Morgan Favorite 4 wgt rod. For a small trout rod the Orvis CFO is still a nice click and pawl reel. While I really like the Abel reels I would not get hung up on particular brand. Now after that long winded reply I have to say My Abel Super 4 w/Brown Trout Finish on my 5 wgt rod is my favorite reel!

flyred06
03-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the imput. I just got my first one and have fallen in love. I also just ordered a sage zaxis 3wt zxl that I am looking about putting a Abel creek reel on. I have 2 ross reel and they seem pretty good also. I just wanted to hear some of all you guys thoughts. Sounds like the Abel may have been a good choice. Thanks.