PDA

View Full Version : Tenkara?

finandfeather
03-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Anyone using these? I would think these would be perfect for most all streams in and around the park, if I was a guide or had a shop I would push these rods and the system hard. I'm thinking about buying one due to the cost and how simple they are, I have let the buy more gear and the keeping up with the jones get the best of me here and I'm thinking rod line and fly might be kinda cool. Look on YouTube for the videos, then respond to what you think.

Mundele
03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I have one. I found a source for a cheaper one ("fountainhead caddis" rods) and I like it okay, but honestly I prefer my standard fly rod. With a longer fly rod you can do all you can with the tenkara rod if you fish with your line and leader at about a fly rod's length, plus you have the ability to make longer casts if you need to.

The Tenkara rod is fun for dappling and etc. Really fun for bluegill. One thing I've noticed is that I do get less tangles if I make a bad cast and the line hits the rod (since there are no guides to get tangled with). It also forces you to focus on presentation, rather than the mechanics of casting. That alone might make it better for a beginner.

It is a real pain when you get tangled and the line is out of reach. With a western fly rod you point your rod tip at the fly and pull the line through the guides until the tippet snaps or it comes loose. With the tenara rod you actually jam the sections together, and could break it.

That's my two cents. I say try it. Let me know if you have any questions. www.tenkarabum.com is a good site for more info.

--Matt

narcodog
03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I have two Tenkara USA rods and just love fishing with them. I have an 11 foot Iwana and a 13 1/2 foot Amago. They work very well with both drys and s/h's. There is casting involved in the presentation and that's where the beauty of the rod comes into play. You have to be stealthy as you have a relativley short line and leader, say 14 to 20 ft as compared to 40 ft for a western rig.

One note I have been using the Tenkara for almost two years and it has made me a better western fly fisher as to presentation and the ability work a s/h or nymph. Not braggin but I usually out fish the folks I am with.

Mundele
03-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Narcodog, do you use furled lines or "level" lines?

narcodog
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
I have both. I use the furled on the 11 footer and Trout Bums level on the 13 1/2 footer. I think I prefer the furled over the level line the furled seems to give me more control.

I had a 13 footer that I used the furled line on last year on the Madison and it did well even in the wind.