PDA

View Full Version : My wife wants to FLY FISH with me!

limestonespl
03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Folks,
My wife and I will be in the Smoky Mountains later this week and much to my delight, she told me to pack her waders and flyrod, she wants to go out with me and fish, YEAH! She is a new flyfisherwoman and I am not too familiar with the areas streams. We will probably have only 5 hours or so to fish as we are vacationing with several other couples in Pigeon Forge off of Wear Valley Road.

Getting to my question: where would you suggest we go to have a chance a catching some trout, that would not be too "tight" for her novice fly casting? I was thinking Greenbrier??? Any suggestions would be appreciated a lot. We definately want to fish in the park and I so want her to catch a trout or two, I dont even care if I catch a darn thing, I just want her to have a good experience. She will be fishing with a 7ft 4 wt rod/reel.

Any suggestions on a place which is not too difficult for her to wade and too awful tight for her to cast would be appreciated. I am setting her up with a wading staff though!
Thanks,
Harry

Mundele
03-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, I can't say that I fish there all that often but the little river by Metcalfe Bottoms picnic area is certainly close to Wears Valley (taking the "back way" into the park) and it's pretty open, and will be easy to wade and cast. I don't fish there all that often because I usually enter the park via townsend and there's too much pretty water between the "Y" and metcalfe so I end up fishing somewhere else.

I'm sure others will weigh in with other (possibly better) options...

BlueRaiderFan
03-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I like Treemont or the Laurel Creek Rd going toward Cades Cove. I don't catch a lot of fish but there are a few and it's easier to cast.

Ky Tim
03-28-2011, 01:29 PM
My wife said she is going to start fishing with me. Looking forward to it. We are going to hit some of the stockers streams here next month so she can get her feet wet. We will be down for Trout Fest and hopefully she will catch her first wild fish while we are there. In another coincidence we will be staying at a condo on Wears Valley Rd. when we come down in May.

Rog 1
03-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I would fish the WPLP....go past park HQ and take the first or second pull off on the road up the mountain toward the Chimneys...the water here is fairly flat and open...if the river level is up head up to Walker Camp Prong above the Chimney trailhead...small water but can catch bows and brookies in there and it doesn't require long casts...

GrouseMan77
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I would fish the WPLP....go past park HQ and take the first or second pull off on the road up the mountain toward the Chimneys...the water here is fairly flat and open...if the river level is up head up to Walker Camp Prong above the Chimney trailhead...small water but can catch bows and brookies in there and it doesn't require long casts...

If the water warms up just a bit I agree with Rog 1.

David Knapp
03-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Fish the Middle Prong of LR...go up the gravel road towards the end. Plenty of good water up there with lots of willing trout...

limestonespl
03-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks to all for the responses! I think we are armed with enough places to study and pick out a nice stretch of water, thanks for sharing! I'll let you know how we do, hopefully with a few pics of victory! Or at least some pretty water!
Harry