PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Simms Headwaters waders?

Dawgvet
04-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Thinking it may be bout time for new pair of waders as my Orvis silver labels are leaking at the seams after 5 hard years. Was looking for a tough pair of waders for reasonable money. Like the fact that they are Gore-Tex and USA made. Any thoughts on these waders or Simms in general as have never bought any Simms products.
Thanks,
Jedidiah

rbreedi1
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I just bought a pair and will be testing them out this weekend! First impressions are great. I'll be sure to let you know after I take them to the water.

whitefeather
04-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I've always heard good things about Simms products. USA made, excellent! Gore-Tex, excellent. Gore-Tex stays dry inside due to breathing ability, unlike neoprene or rubber. You didn't mention whether or not they were stocking foot waders. Otherwise I would ask if they have felt soles or something else.

Let us know how you like them. I may have to replace mine soon. Hope they work out to your complete liking.

billyspey
04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
headwaters are not gortex or made in the usa. sorry to bust your bubble. but are breathable but not as gortex ,warmer in summer than guide series . mine are 2 yrs old and with a zipper ,for a old man zippers are great on and off but when you need to pee are wonderful

sorry i gave wrong info it,s the freestones i was posting about not the headwaters , i have sometimers memory, but what i said about zippers is true

softhackle
04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
headwaters are not gortex or made in the usa. sorry to bust your bubble. but are breathable but not as gortex ,warmer in summer than guide series . mine are 2 yrs old and with a zipper ,for a old man zippers are great on and off but when you need to pee are wonderful

sorry i gave wrong info it,s the freestones i was posting about not the headwaters , i have sometimers memory, but what i said about zippers is true
I just bought a pair of Headwaters and they had their virgin run yesterday and performed flawlessly. Go to www.simmsfishing.com where there's a lot of info on taking care of your waders.
Headwaters are made in the USA and do use Gortex in the lower legs, or at least that's what mine have.

rbreedi1
04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I used my pair yesterday for 4 hours and was extremely satisfied and impressed. They performed great and are super lightweight. Love the reinforced front part of the legs. I would highly recommend these waders to anyone.

limestonespl
04-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi Folks,
Actually the Headwaters model is USA made and Gortex lined. it is the Freestone model which is imported and of a different waterproofing system than Gortex. I bought a pair of the Freestone waders at $199.00 and I think they are great! I blewout a pair of Orvis Silverlabels and had heard good things about all of the Simms line and took a chance. Saved a hundred bucks over their next model up. So far I am quite satisfied. And the warranty is the same, if any problem occurs, just send them back the to the Simms Repair Center in Bozeman Mt and they will take care of it! Cant beat that!
Harry

spotlight
04-06-2011, 11:33 PM
I have the Freestone stockingfoots and beat em up hard! I am pretty impressed with them for the 199.00 I paid for them. Last year Simms e-mailed me because i filled out the warranty card and they asked me how they were doing. I told them they felt damp in the knees....this after about 45 hard trips.

They asked me to mail them back so they could check them out so I did....a week later I got an e-mail saying they inspected them and they were beyond repair....I called them and they said a brand new pair was on the way....now that's customer service!!....so IMO you can't go wrong with Simms products.

My next pair will be the ones for 299.00 and they are USA made in Montana

Scott H.
04-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I got a pair of the Simms Headwater from LRO last spring.
They are goretex, and are made in Montana.

I have been very happy with them and would highly recommend them.
They are outstanding.

I, for one, would rather pay a little extra for a good pair of waders that I will use for 6 or 7 years or more. I think it is a good investment.
I am still trying to convince my wife that, however.

Scott