PDA

View Full Version : World's Smallest Trout Spinner Bait or Forgive Me I Have Spinned (Part 2)

whitefeather
04-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Disclaimer: I do not profess to be a fly-tier or have much knowledge of it, nor do I have the dexterity to be very good at it. I am at best, curious enough to try it every once in a while.

Watching a U-tube video of Oliver Edwards, flyfishing a chalk stream in England, presenting "wet" flies as dries, for fussy trout gave me part of this idea. He called them "spiders" but they didn't have the traditional swept back feather wings I equate with wet flies overhere. They were more like dries with thicker hackle in front and they rode high on top of the water film.

I do have some fly tying equipment but nothing elaborate. When I was younger I tied "bass flies", and pan fish bugs, but haven't done any of that for so long I can't remember when I did it last.

Today one of our cats was playing with something on the floor next to my work bench and I investigated to find it was something, that if she ate it, it might hurt her insides, so I put it "up" out of her reach so she wouldn't find it again. I knew what it was, and it immediately gave me an idea because of what it looked like. That combined with the idea from the video gave birth to this creation.

I call it the BH Torpedo. Black Hackle or Bead Head Torpedo, whichever you prefer. And it closely resembles Oliver Edward's "spiders". With one exception. Look closely at the pictures and you will see it.

Everyone has probably watched a submarine movie like "Red October" and is familiar with the sound of a torpedo speeding toward an unsuspecting target. Being with the navy for so many years, I must have heard the sound a million times on accoustaphones. Somewhat shrill, hi-pitched, and irritating. The sound is the pitch of the prop propelling the device forward. How about if it was towed instead, at varying speeds.

I did some tool work on the part I took away from kitty, polished it, and attached it to a number 12 nymph hook, followed by a gold bead, black nylon 70 denier thread, wrapping the hook all the way to the back. Then added black hackle working from the rear forward. A spot of glue fore and aft and wallah, secret weapon accomplished. Sounds quick when I describe it, but it wasn't.

I tested it with my air gun and it "screamed"! The faster the air went, the louder, more buzzy it got. Going from current seams into faster water, then into riffles, then slower water, it should do the same underwater. And that spells "spinner", only the size of a dry fly. Fully intended to sink and stay down until a trout nails it and jumps or tails.

Okay my imagination is getting away from me now, but I think it will work good. In spring waters, time will tell!

All I know about trout is they can be the most picky creatures when it comes to imitations of their food supply, but when presented with a noisy, clankety-clank, buzzing, flashing spinner bait, they lose all composure and try their best to kill whatever is making that strange sound, even it means treading unsafe waters. And that's what I'm betting on 'cause I guarantee they have never heard the sound that comes from this bugger. If it works, I will be able to spin and fly at the same time. Call it helicoptering!

Little River Proving Grounds, here I come!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=584

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=585

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=586

Mundele
04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Got any pics?

whitefeather
04-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Got any pics?
Well, that's the second time today someone hasn't seen the pics I posted. I don't know what's going on. I get the pics when I go to the thread.

Can someone tell me what might be going on. I used the website BB codes, in the thread. This is the second thread that I am having this problem with.:frown:

Hey, wait a minute, is this an April Fool's joke, Mundele? Or is it for real?

Oh, oh! I think I've figured it out!

MadisonBoats
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Everyone has probably watched a submarine movie like "Red October" and is familiar with the sound of a torpedo speeding toward an unsuspecting target. Being with the navy for so many years, I must have heard the sound a million times on accoustaphones. Somewhat shrill, hi-pitched, and irritating. The sound is the pitch of the prop propelling the device forward. How about if it was towed instead, at varying speeds.

I did some tool work on the part I took away from kitty, polished it, and attached it to a number 12 nymph hook, followed by a gold bead, black nylon 70 denier thread, wrapping the hook all the way to the back. Then added black hackle working from the rear forward. A spot of glue fore and aft and wallah, secret weapon accomplished. Sounds quick when I describe it, but it wasn't.

I tested it with my air gun and it "screamed"! The faster the air went, the louder, more buzzy it got. Going from current seams into faster water, then into riffles, then slower water, it should do the same underwater. And that spells "spinner", only the size of a dry fly. Fully intended to sink and stay down until a trout nails it and jumps or tails.

Okay my imagination is getting away from me now, but I think it will work good. In spring waters, time will tell!

All I know about trout is they can be the most picky creatures when it comes to imitations of their food supply, but when presented with a noisy, clankety-clank, buzzing, flashing spinner bait, they lose all composure and try their best to kill whatever is making that strange sound, even it means treading unsafe waters. And that's what I'm betting on 'cause I guarantee they have never heard the sound that comes from this bugger. If it works, I will be able to spin and fly at the same time. Call it helicoptering!

Little River Proving Grounds, here I come!

*Awesome! I love to experiment with ideas and flies. I think you have a great principle in the idea and it could lead to a stellar fly. Keep up the creativity and thanks for sharing the information! I experiment with flies often. This is one of the most exciting things I enjoy about fly fishing-fly tying. However; most end up in my scrap box. It is fun to evaluate different float/presentation characteristics in fly designs.

whitefeather
04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks Shawn!

I made another one in olive with a little bit different tail, similar to a small wooly bugger.

I made this fly with deep, fast water near current mends in mind, because I always have trouble with that siuation. High stickin' the thing may be the way to go, because I don't know how it will cast, yet. Gonna find out though!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=587

Mundele
04-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I couldn't see the pics at first but now I can. NICE!

steamnsteel
04-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't think that you can go wrong with these creations and I bet they will do very well. if you don't care, leave me about 4 each of those under the bridge railing at metcalf bottoms:biggrin:.

I could not see the pictures before either but now they can be seen.

whitefeather
04-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't think that you can go wrong with these creations and I bet they will do very well. if you don't care, leave me about 4 each of those under the bridge railing at metcalf bottoms:biggrin:.

I could not see the pictures before either but now they can be seen.

Vincent,

Waiting on an order of fly feathers and what not in different colors so I can tie some different color patterns. I might be able to leave you one or two under the bridge railing at Metcalf if I get some more made.

Today I tried all day to make just one but the darn screw snapped three times before I was able to finish one. So I gave up.

The difficult part is putting the pitch in the screw and drilling it straight. Material is pretty hard and brittle. So I 'm going to have to come up with a better process. But I will try again tomorrow.

If they "work" and I catch fish I will post when I come home. Same if they don't and I don't.

If they work really good and I catch some big fish or a lot of fish, I will beat it over to LRO and ask Paula to post some pics and info, if she has the time and is willing to do that for me (us). Then maybe others can come down to Elkmont for a demo! LOL!

There's goes my imagination again, running away like a buck on opening morning! LOL!:biggrin:

steamnsteel
04-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Vincent,

Waiting on an order of fly feathers and what not in different colors so I can tie some different color patterns. I might be able to leave you one or two under the bridge railing at Metcalf if I get some more made.

WOOHOO!:biggrin: you don't have to but that would be super duper nice! if you don't get results on the Little River with these pack up and move to the WPLP to try them out.