PDA

View Full Version : Floating the Clinch

Trico
04-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Being a rookie at using a drift boat I am looking for some advice on floating the Clinch. What flows or generation schedule should I look for to float from just below the Weir to the say the Peach Orchard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rodonthefly
04-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Doing the float you are talking about works best when the kick 1 gen on for a couple of hours. Then back off. Floating that section with no gens on a weekend would be a nightmare! On low flow watch out for the shoals above massingill bridge you can beat a up up in that area

MadisonBoats
04-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Most likely you will need to do an early start to accomplish this float. It is a very good float if you time the drain down with your drift. The fish become super active and will hit just about any streamer.

Be mindful of the [boneyard]-the area below Massengill Bridge extending about 200 yards....It creates treasures from the deep if you know what I mean.....

Trico
04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I really appreciate this information. I don't like asking what may seem like silly questions but as I said I am as big a rookie as you can be when it comes to using a drift boat and new to the area. Is the Massengill Bridge the River Road Bridge or the one for I75? I understand if you float past the peach orchard you eventually come to a large shoal you can't get over with a drift boat. I was also told there is private launch point near these shoals but it is private and leased by some guides.

Rodonthefly
04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
River road and masingill is where we are talking about. The shoals below peach orchard are tricky but how ever you can get threw that area. I do it all the time. As far as launch points below that area there are no privite ramps. Next ramp after peach is 61. Oh and being a newbie to floating don't be affraid to get a scratch on your boat. Its gonna happen

MadisonBoats
04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, the boneyard below the river bridge has some lateral trees and other things people throw off the bridge the help people capsize by running up on to them incorrectly. I grew up right above the bridge and we used to see people in over-turned canoes every other weekend in that area.