PDA

View Full Version : Holston Question

ttas67
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know, or have a good idea, of how long it takes for water to reach / draindown to the I-40 bridge?

JoeFred
04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Trevor, this is a good queston that has been posed before http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14887
but with no answer dug up. I will pursue in the next few weeks as I plan to do a map of the tailwater.

In the late 90s, John Thurman and Buzz Buffington, affilated with the Clinch River Chapter of TU, working with Bill Proctor, a civil engineer at the TVA Engineering Lab, developed drain-down graphs and tables for the Clinch tailwater (see post no. 4 by fourx in the oher thread for more info). It might require this same approach to develop good drain-down info for the Holston. Securing the services of TVA might be a bit more challenging in our current economic climate.

ttas67
04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the info, JoeFred. Let me know what you find out. In thinking about this, if I can just get data on drain down and travel times at some well known places (nances ferry, indian cave, etc), I estimate the distances via google earth and possibly develop a very rough equation to model drain down and travel at any distance along the river. It wouldn't be terribly accurate, but would at least give a time window in which to verify the actual times. Right now I have no clue how long it would take. So, would someone who knows be willing to provide draindown and travel times for some other areas?

Steve Wright
04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
It takes approximately 5 hrs to reach Nances Ferry w/ all 4 units pushing,longer to drain down.This scenario would usually occur in the winter when they generate for longer periods .
Unlike Norris, Cherokee has 4 units & to attempt to get a similar chart would be difficult,because of how they bring the units up & down.
The South Holston is simple to figure because of one generator .

fourx
04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Steve-
On a complete side note: Is that a sea-run brown in your avatar photo? Tierra del Fuego?
That is a fishing story in itself.

4X

Steve Wright
04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Steve-
On a complete side note: Is that a sea-run brown in your avatar photo? Tierra del Fuego?
That is a fishing story in itself.

4X

Yes.......