PDA

View Full Version : Smallie floats on LR

milligan trout degree
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I know this horse has been beaten many times on here, but I couldn't find the details I was looking for using the 'search'. Since my usual float down the little pigeon is out for a while, the little river is my next conquest. I'm gonna float the first weekend of may in my one man pontoon. I'm looking for a full day float (6-8 ) hours for smallmouth. I don't know where put ins and take outs are though. I'm familiar with the words "perry mill and bbq/adult store" but I'm unfamiliar with their locations and lengths between put in and take out places. I'm also familiar with river johns and know that he will shuttle, but I don't know the details with his shuttling either or his location. I'm excited to fish the new water however. Hope I can find some answers here.

Thanks,
Ben

No Hackle
04-09-2011, 10:15 AM
The Mill is on 321 before you get into Walland. I usually float down to Sevierville rd aka 411. This can take as long as you want depending on water flow and how hard you want to fish. Dont' know how long it is to River JOhns from 411. But it can't be to long, Again anything depends on how hard you want to fish. Watch for sweeps between Coulter's Bridge ( behin Heritage High it is a large school on left before the mill) and 411. Be careful if your alone lots of water right now.
Lynn

MickT
04-09-2011, 01:27 PM
No Hackle, do you park at the bridge there at 411?

No Hackle
04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes and no, my house is only 5 min. from there so when I dont float I park there. When I float I have a neighbor to pick me up. I don't float much, I Prefer to wade. I find it more enjoyable. I wade coulters alot and of course @411.
Lynn

Troutman
04-09-2011, 07:32 PM
This was my last time I floated the lower LR.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12840&highlight=river+float

That was a fun day and I need to do it again. John charged me $20 to shuttle my jeep back to his island. I called him a couple of days ahead of time and the morning of my float, I picked him up at the island and he rode to the put in at Perry mill dam. I have floated from perry mill to hwy 411 bridge several times now and the lower float from 411 to river johns twice now. There are long slow sections with some deeper sections and then tailouts with easy riffles. I kept a nice stringer of redbreast to eat on my last trip. :biggrin: very tasty! I recommend taking two fly rods, one for the bass, I like a 7wt, and the other for redbreast and rockbass. a 3-4 wt is fun !
I guess I'll be floating it again this year.
here is river johns website. It has directions to his island.

http://www.riverjohns.com/

milligan trout degree
04-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, we'll be floating the last weekend or april/first weekend of may (water level willing). I'll have a 7wt and an 8 wt I can use for bass, and I'll bring along my 4wt and some small poppers for the bluegill. May decide to keep a stringer as well. I look forward to fishing the lr for smallies after reading so much about it. Of course I've fished for trout up and down it, but I spend most of my time chasing bass and carp anymore. My gameplan will be tossing buggers (olive, black, purple), zonkers (white, black, olive), clousers (chart/white, olive/white), and poppers. Anything else I should be throwing? Any good crawdad patterns for the lr I could work on tying?

Troutman
04-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Anything else I should be throwing? Any good crawdad patterns for the lr I could work on tying?

my favorite crawfish patterns are the Holschlag hackle fly in olive/grey mix and olive whitlock near nuff crayfish in sizes 6 and 8. I usually dead drift them under a large indicator(thingamabobber). both are tied with lead eyes so they ride hook up. I buy the near nuffs due to complexity.

milligan trout degree
04-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks, I'll tie up some of the holschlags. I may buy the near nuff's myself as well. When I sit down to tie, I usually prefer to tie flies that I can complete in five minutes or less. I certainly need to find a crayfish pattern I fish with confidence.

Mundele
04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I'd love to see some pics and a trip report after you float/fish. I've been wanting to this too. I almost always fish for trout but have been pursuing a few bass on my lunch break near work and want to give it a try. I was hoping to fish the pigeon, but it's out for now.

If anyone can recommend wading places that;d be great. I have a canoe, but logistically that's a bit more challenging.

--Matt