PDA

View Full Version : Green Drake Hatch on Abrams Creek

Hugh Hartsell
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
If any of you happen to be fishing in the Park this weekend and you decide to try Abrams Creek, I thought you might be interested in knowing that traditionally, the Green Drake hatch should be starting then. There may already be a few coming off and as I have noted before, it is not a hatch best fished with dry flies. You may do a little better fishing with nymphs for the better fish or if you see Hendricksons hatching you could try a dry version to match those. Let us know if you give it a try. They probably won't last much more than a week or so.
Hugh

Owl
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Hugh, I was on Mill Creek last weekend and a huge drake landed on my shirt pocket. My wife was there getting the camera ready for some video and she squealed when it hit my chest. :)
Unfortunately, all I got were a few strikes from little bows but that was about what I expected from Mill creek.

cockeye valdez
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Last year I saw the best green drake hatch I have ever seen at Little Cataloochee. It was spectacular, I had a gray drake left over from a Yellowstone trip but didn't tie it on. I know the synchronized lightening bugs in Elkmont are exciting to see but I would say the drakes were just as amazing for me to see.
Good to know the bugs are there, how blessed we are to live here.

tennswede
04-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Hugh,

Ssssshhhh! lol. Planning on a trip soon. I was thinking a coffin fly right?