PDA

View Full Version : Specks in the Cataloochee Drainage

WVBrookie
04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Monday my son, a friend, and I spent some time in the Cataloochee Valley - a first for all of us. My friend fished from the church upstream to the end of the road while my son and I hiked the Boogerman Trail. What 10-year-old doesn't want to hike the Boogerman Trail? :biggrin:

All any of us caught were specks. I caught them in Snake Branch (?), on the upper/downhill side of Boogerman, as well as Caldwell. I caught them at multiple stream crossings from the 8th (?) down to the first crossing on Caldwell. My partner caught them in Palmer, Rough Fork, and one of the feeders.

I didn't know specks were down that low. My question is: how low do the specks go in the Cataloochee watershed?

Thanks,
Chris

ChemEAngler
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Monday my son, a friend, and I spent some time in the Cataloochee Valley - a first for all of us. My friend fished from the church upstream to the end of the road while my son and I hiked the Boogerman Trail. What 10-year-old doesn't want to hike the Boogerman Trail? :biggrin:

All any of us caught were specks. I caught them in Snake Branch (?), on the upper/downhill side of Boogerman, as well as Caldwell. I caught them at multiple stream crossings from the 8th (?) down to the first crossing on Caldwell. My partner caught them in Palmer, Rough Fork, and one of the feeders.

I didn't know specks were down that low. My question is: how low do the specks go in the Cataloochee watershed?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,
I have caught them very low in the Drainage too. I am not going to say exactly where on Palmer, but it was very surprising. And I am not talking about just one, there were multiples. I will just say that I was so low on the creek that I was just out of earshot of the diesel pickup trucks at the horse trailer parking area..... However, all I ever caught around Boogerman was rainbows.

Mundele
04-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Crockett and I did a backpacking trip up that way. I had a 40+ fish day and all but two were specks. Down lower I did catch a couple of rainbows, but above the horse camp up to CS39 it was almost all specks.

It was summertime and they tore up a foam beetle. I've never done very well with that pattern before or since but that day it was the stuff.

I'm needing to go back real bad...

--Matt

duckypaddler
04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Crockett and I did a backpacking trip up that way. I had a 40+ fish day and all but two were specks. Down lower I did catch a couple of rainbows, but above the horse camp up to CS39 it was almost all specks.

It was summertime and they tore up a foam beetle. I've never done very well with that pattern before or since but that day it was the stuff.

I'm needing to go back real bad...

--Matt

Are you the Matt from the Catstairs hike, that drove with me:confused:

Baldeagle
04-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I have been fishing out of the Cataloochee Campground frequently for the last ten years. My next trip is the last week in April. It is really a magical place! I have noticed that the Specks have been migrating to lower elevations over the years. When I first started fishing Palmer I would not get a Speck until I got close to Lost Bottom. Lately I have been getting them below Pretty Hollow. Last year I fished Caldwell from the campground, and I had 5 Specks before I was 200 yards from the mouth of the fork.

Crockett
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Are you the Matt from the Catstairs hike, that drove with me:confused:

dp the Matt you rode with to the Catstairs hike was my current boss he isn't a fly fisherman but loves off trail hiking. Mundele is a different Matt who is a friend of mine that fly fishes and used to be my boss lol.

The last time I was in Cataloochee I caught only specks one right behind Palmer chapel and one right behind the front country campground. It does seem like they are taking over down low there for some reason. Not that I am complaining thats the way it should be I guess.

tennswede
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I have caught them all the way down past the campground. They are now as low as 2000ft.

duckypaddler
04-16-2011, 08:05 AM
dp the Matt you rode with to the Catstairs hike was my current boss he isn't a fly fisherman but loves off trail hiking. Mundele is a different Matt who is a friend of mine that fly fishes and used to be my boss lol.

That makes much more sense. All these Matt's that are friends with Crockett are obviously confusing me:rolleyes:. Do you only work for guys named Matt? Just kidding!