PDA

View Full Version : proposed Slick Rock trip

FishNHunt
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I had originally planned a return back pack trip this weekend to Slick Rock Creek but, the predicted storms for today and tonight made me cancel earlier this week. Then I planned for next weekend but, it's surposed to rain from Thursday until Saturday next weekend according to the weatherman. SO, I am going to TRY to plan a trip for the April 29th-30th and May 1st. I would be leaving between 3 and 4 on friday so that I can get over and set up camp. This way I will have 1 solid day of fishing on the 30th. I will fish a few hours before dark friday after camp is set up and then all day on saturday and on sunday I will fish until 12 noon before heading back. I will get to the creek by boat so that will knock off a tremendous amount of hiking time.

As of right now my childrens mom will be getting them on that friday but, that could change, hopefully it won't tho.
If anyone is interested in going with me just shoot me an E-mail (DanielAtkins6@aol.com) and we can discuss it. I can squeeze 4 of us in the boat if several wish to go.

whitefeather
04-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I had originally planned a return back pack trip this weekend to Slick Rock Creek but, the predicted storms for today and tonight made me cancel earlier this week. Then I planned for next weekend but, it's surposed to rain from Thursday until Saturday next weekend according to the weatherman. SO, I am going to TRY to plan a trip for the April 29th-30th and May 1st. I would be leaving between 3 and 4 on friday so that I can get over and set up camp. This way I will have 1 solid day of fishing on the 30th. I will fish a few hours before dark friday after camp is set up and then all day on saturday and on sunday I will fish until 12 noon before heading back. I will get to the creek by boat so that will knock off a tremendous amount of hiking time.

As of right now my childrens mom will be getting them on that friday but, that could change, hopefully it won't tho.
If anyone is interested in going with me just shoot me an E-mail (DanielAtkins6@aol.com) and we can discuss it. I can squeeze 4 of us in the boat if several wish to go.

Daniel,

Do you put your boat in there to the west of Cheoah Dam, where the dragon (129) crosses Calderwood?

I've been looking at that area (Google MAp satelite images) to get to the mouth of Slick Rock Creek and was wondering how far it is, from what looks to be a boat launch area on a side road just over the bridge to the south to the mouth of Slick Rock Creek.

Could a guy make it in a canoe in a reasonable amount of time?

duckypaddler
04-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Daniel,

Do you put your boat in there to the west of Cheoah Dam, where the dragon (129) crosses Calderwood?

I've been looking at that area (Google MAp satelite images) to get to the mouth of Slick Rock Creek and was wondering how far it is, from what looks to be a boat launch area on a side road just over the bridge to the south to the mouth of Slick Rock Creek.

Could a guy make it in a canoe in a reasonable amount of time?

Paddling to the mouth of Slickrock is super easy in a canoe:biggrin:

Turn into the picnic area/ campground just befor going over the dam. There is a launch there. It's maybe 3/4 mile paddle to the mouth. It's easy enough that I put my Mom & her frind in a canoe by themselves (they never paddle). Just make sure that if Cheoah is releasing that you can get back up:eek:. I've heard that it's still pretty easy on a low release if you know how to eddy hop, but that might take some skill. I have been there a bunch and they hardly generate.

Fish/N'Hunt - A tremendous amount of hiking time????? It's maybe a 1.5 miles to the mouth by trail. Are you getting old or something?:biggrin:

FishNHunt
04-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Paddler... I am getting older... every day. I haven't been across the trail (I've always went in by boat) and the last time I heard it was terrible. Trees down and everything. I will reword it.. how does a fair amount of time sound. LOL!!!

whitefeather
04-16-2011, 11:06 AM
duckypaddler,

Thanks for the reply and info.

One of the places I wanted go, but not on this trip, I'm afraid. But soon!

I have been canoeing all my life, so I'll stick to the shoreline in the event of a unexpected release, when I go. Nothing better than getting into the wilderness via canoe. When I was younger I hunted, trapped, and fished from a canoe and can count my most memorable times in one. Just me and my lab retriever.

Fishnhunt,

Maybe you could advise on the wilderness camping situation there for me, what I need, what I need to avoid.

How do you secure your boat at the mouth of the creek?

I would appreciate any info if you've got time to advise.

When I get ready to make the trip, I will put out an invitation to anyone on the forum interested in going with me.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

FishNHunt
04-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Whitefeather.

Honestly I just tie it to the bank and don't think about it again until I'm almost back. That's when I almost always say to myself "hope the boat is still there". I've never had anyone mess with my boat.... knock on wood. I have a friend that take a 1/4 wire cable with loops (bike cable) and runs it threw the handle in his boat then to a tree and then locks it.

Crockett
04-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Whitefeather.

Honestly I just tie it to the bank and don't think about it again until I'm almost back. That's when I almost always say to myself "hope the boat is still there". I've never had anyone mess with my boat.... knock on wood. I have a friend that take a 1/4 wire cable with loops (bike cable) and runs it threw the handle in his boat then to a tree and then locks it.

The cable trick is a good idea not for folks wantin to steal your boat cause that won't stop them but it is good to protect your boat from the other kind of wrong doers. The ones that are out drinking and see your boat and think it would be funny to give it a push out into the lake then leave or something aka vandals, miscreant teenagers and such lol.

whitefeather
04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
The cable trick is a good idea not for folks wantin to steal your boat cause that won't stop them but it is good to protect your boat from the other kind of wrong doers. The ones that are out drinking and see your boat and think it would be funny to give it a push out into the lake then leave or something aka vandals, miscreant teenagers and such lol.

OH! You have those down there too? LOL! There everywhere, there everywhere!:eek:

Yeah, that's what I meant. And a canoe would be easy pickens. But I could drag it up in the woods and chain it up.

Thanks guys!

Grannyknot
04-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Fish/N'Hunt - A tremendous amount of hiking time????? It's maybe a 1.5 miles to the mouth by trail. Are you getting old or something?:biggrin:

Not any more. The trail is closed at the Ike Camp intersection, and Ike Camp up and over will make anyone feel old. Apparently, during the heavy rains a month or so ago, the trail pretty much fell off the mountain and into Calderwood Lake. It is currently under repair, unless they have finished in the last 2 weeks.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/DSCN2823.jpg

FishNHunt
04-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I assume that the two poor guys that had worked (and camped at the mouth of Slick Rock creek the entire time mind you) those 3 months building that bridge across the creek up there are still there then. The day I was there they were planning on going up and removing their signs but, I see that they haven't. Makes me wonder.

The only trouble that I've had with people messing with my boat is when hutning season is going on and while I'm off hunting some guys (the ones that know me) will tie other peoples dogs that come out to the lake in my boat as a joke. Of course I've repaid the favor a time or three. I've left my boat for 9 days one time years ago while hunting across Chilhowee and never had anyone bother it. I guess the thought that someone could be setting up there within sight of their boat and holding a high powered 7MM rifle prevents that in the winter.

I did come back from a 3 day hunt once to find my boat had sunk. I had put the drain plug in but, hadn't "cinched" it down and it slowly leaked into the boat. I also came back from a day hunt and found my boat setting on dry ground 50 feet from the water line. They had dropped the lake 3 feet. Those were interesting finds I can promise you.

Another time a friend and I jumped into my boat after a long and misserable day of hunting in a rain that was just slightly above freezing. We were soaked and ready for the warmth of the truck. Only 5 minutes into our boat ride the motor sputtered and died. I had gotten bad gas and it had finally made it's way into the engine. The wind (20+ mph) pushed us back past where we had started and onto the Cherokee National forest side. I told my friend, who was going nuts, that we might just have to stick it out for the night and wait for someone to come along in the morning or walk out to Webbs cabin. That didn't go over well. Finally after 2 hours of working with the motor (the whole time my buddy was trying to raise someone on the hand held marine raido with no luck) I got it running but, it would only idle and it took us 3 hours to get from the power house to Tabcat boat ramp.

That's just some of the mishaps that I've had but, if it hadn't been for those I don't think that I would have remembered the trips at all.

FishNHunt
04-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Whitefeather.

I'm sorry I've missed your question almost entirely. Yes, I put in at Cheoh which is the only boat ramp on Calderwood unless you want to count the useless canoe access at Calderwood dam which would be exactly a 3/4 mile drag up hill the whole way. The boat ramp at Cheoh is a nice ramp and they have fixed it up for the canoers that come down the river beside the dam. As far as what you would need to camp at Slick Rock it all depends on what your level of comfort is. If comfort isn't an issue you can back pack in and stay higher on the creek. If you opt for alittle more comfort you can still get the solitude and camp at the mouth of the creek if no one has already claimed it or if they have you can go back to the small camp ground at the ramp and stay the night. You can even tow a camper across and stay but, that would be a chore threw the "dragon". A few side notes that may come in handy. I would go over my first time in the day light to get your bearings of the place. Being that the lake is only 7 miles long and narrow enough to threw a rock across (not literally) most of it's length it has a flow to it and the cold water is carried all the way to the dam. If they put water in from Cheoh or it rains that is "the foggy lake" as my son calls it. Believe it is FOGGY and at night a spot light is all but useless. I've ran back to the ramp at night using only my depth finder and a prayer but, the lake is so deep that you can honestly run a ground and never have your depth finder gain a foot. Once you learn it you can run by the "ridges" for most of the way. You will start to see a rise in the depth just about Slick Rock creek but, it's still a challenge to make if from Slick Rock in that fog. There are two street lights at the ramp but, again in the fog you can't see them most of the time until your right on top of them. I have a GPS that I take along with me now and it makes life SO much easier in the dark. The last thing is bring winter clothing along. I don't care if it's 100 degrees outside when you go over. It gets COLD on that lake at night. Lastly there is a C130 that buzzs the mountains every night on some kind of run. He's low and loud and you won't hear him until he's honest to pete just over your head by a couple thousand feet. You've been warned now. LOL!!! He still scares the crap out of me from time to time.

whitefeather
04-17-2011, 10:32 AM
FishNHunt,

Thanks for the nice report! I will copy this post to my computer and hang on to it for future reference. Thanks for the warning also, on the fog and the C-130.

I live in the air corridor of a military base thats deploys troops and equipment to Iraq and Afghanistan, so I hear the Hercs a lot. They usually take off with the JATO rockets when they are full and make a heck of a racket in the middle of the night.

Anyway, Slick Rock Creek sounds like my kind of place, so I've got to plan a trip to go there. I'd like to hike up the creek a ways, just exploring with my flyrod ready to go.
Don't know when I'll be able to make it but I'm shooting for later on this year.

JayB
05-02-2011, 04:48 PM
FYI Slickrock creek trail is open from the parking lot all the way to the river now. There is a nice new bridge there. Grannyknot, I took the boys over Ike camp to Slickrock this past weekend, and we exited via the slickrock creek trail once I found out it was open from the campers at the falls (who were all pretty amazed to see the boys there!).
Ill post a report later tonight of our trip which was a heck of an adventure!

Grannyknot
05-02-2011, 08:32 PM
FYI Slickrock creek trail is open from the parking lot all the way to the river now. There is a nice new bridge there. Grannyknot, I took the boys over Ike camp to Slickrock this past weekend, and we exited via the slickrock creek trail once I found out it was open from the campers at the falls (who were all pretty amazed to see the boys there!).
Ill post a report later tonight of our trip which was a heck of an adventure!

Good to know JayB. I hope to make it back over there in a month or so.