PDA

View Full Version : First time Smoky trip - advice appreciated

hookedontrout
04-17-2011, 10:55 PM
First of all, hello to everyone! This is my first post after two years of reading and enjoying this forum. I will be going on my first camping and fishing trip this week with my two boys, ages 11 and 12. We have reservations at camp #50 near Smokemont. How far is that from the parking area, the map says 2.2 miles? Also, do you fish up from the campsite or down toward the Luftee? Any favorite flies? Our plans are to fish the Bradley Fork the first day and then try over at Road Prong or Kanati Fork the second day. We have Mr. Casada's book, a map, and lots of wishful thoughts of nice weather and trout. Thanks.

whitefeather
04-17-2011, 11:48 PM
First of all, hello to everyone! This is my first post after two years of reading and enjoying this forum. I will be going on my first camping and fishing trip this week with my two boys, ages 11 and 12. We have reservations at camp #50 near Smokemont. How far is that from the parking area, the map says 2.2 miles? Also, do you fish up from the campsite or down toward the Luftee? Any favorite flies? Our plans are to fish the Bradley Fork the first day and then try over at Road Prong or Kanati Fork the second day. We have Mr. Casada's book, a map, and lots of wishful thoughts of nice weather and trout. Thanks.

hookedontrout,

It's 2.2 miles from the trailhead at the white church straight up from the short road (bridge) leading into Smokemont, (parking lot is to the right) to Chasteen Creek, just above which is campsite #50. So, its less than that from the parking lot at the back of Smokemont Campground up the Bradley Fork trail to #50.

Last fall I did well on Bradley Fork between the Bradley Fork trail head and Chasteen creek, catching browns and brookies. Above Chasteen Creek there is a bridge you cross and there was a deep pool under it that had a lot of nice rainbows in it. Stay on Bradley Fork trail headed for Cabin Flats trail.

The confluence of Bradley Fork and the Luftee is always good if the water isn't too high or too low. It should be about right now that the water is receding, if it doesn't poor down rain again.

Also look for good hatches of Green Drakes on the Bradley Fork and match the hatch.

I use black and golden stone fly nymphs with good success in April. The best fishing I have done on those streams is with stone nymphs, as I mentioned, Bead Head Pheasant Tails, Bead Head Prince Nymphs, Copper Johns, Wooly Buggers, and mayfly nymphs or emergers.

Watch the fish, if they are nosing around on the bottom, use nymphs with weight, but small hook size. If they are coming up but not breaking the surface they are after emergers. Also, the Luftee is full of clinger nymphs, and occasionally you'll see the trout in deeper water nosing down into the gravel bottom and rocks, to get to them. Clinger nymphs do just that, cling like crazy to the rocks.

Small dries (Adams, Cahills, parachutes, etc. in size 18 to 20), but remember to match the hatch when the bugs are flying.

You've got to fish deep near the bottom to be successful if there are no hatches going on. Mornings and evenings. Later in the afternoon for hatches, but sometimes the trout still go after the emergers and ignore the dries.

Look for over hanging banks and logs near shore or overhanging rock shelves for browns. They are there for sure. Good Luck and have a good time!

pineman19
04-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Hello hooked,

You may want to consider heading upstream on Bradley towards Cabin Flats if you and your boys don't mind walking a few miles. The trail is very easy and it's a beautiful area and the fishing is good as well.

Neal

hookedontrout
04-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Survived the trip! No bears, no accidents, but no fish either. We ex-city slickers hiked to the campsite, set up our tents, filtered our water, made a fire, ate our meals, and survived torrential rain during the night. We had such a great time camping. Unfortunately, the water was so high and so fast that we had no luck with the fish. We fished the Bradley, and several of the Luftee's feeder streams following Mr. Casada's book. If anyone can give us any advice on how to fish in high fast water, we will use it for next time. Thanks to everyone for the help!

BlueRaiderFan
04-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Depends on how high and fast. At some point you may as well go home. When it's high but not blown out I use a nymph with a bead head and some split shot up my leader. You have to high stick pretty high in places to keep it off the bottom or just pick your spots.

Knothead
04-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the rain and no fish. I guess you will just have to go back and try again. Tought, but someone has to do it.

flyman
04-24-2011, 01:34 PM
That's great! It takes a trip or two under your belt to sort some things out, like how far to hike, what to eat, and where to fish. High fast water can be dangerous. I try to stay out of the water as much as possible, and I use larger heavier nymphs. Look for back eddies and slack water, this is where you'll have the best chance of catching a fish or two. Best of all, your boys will never forget theses trips.