PDA

View Full Version : Snake nightmare

shinbruiser
04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Determined to do some fishing this weekend despite the conditions I went up to the upper stretch of the Middle Prong to fish any eddys or little seams of slow moving water next to the bank without wading into the river. Consequently I had to hike/crawl along the rivers edge where many of our slithering friends hangout.

I worked my way up to one of the spots that is well below the road with a 10 - 12 foot stone wall between the road and the river. I actually had to climb down into this area frome the road so I was surrounded by a high wall. As soon as I got down into this area I stepped next to a snake. Naturally I was starled and jumped back against the wall. Fortunately the snaked darted into the river. Just as I jumped back against the honeycombed wall it came to life. Snakes began pouring out of the recesses in the wall from above my head. No less than five snakes dove from the wall into the river with one crossing my shoulder. Needless to say I went berserk. I started screaming, flapping my arms and jumping around like Richard Simmons.
Luckily despite my confined area I was able to scramble out of there and was never bitten. If anyone is interested in purchasing some soiled waders please let me know.
This is a true story - make sure you watchout for snakes down and up.

mattblick
04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow, that story got my heart racing, just reading about it.. Glad you are OK and will be watching the walls carefully when I am down there again next week.

-Matt-

Stana Claus
04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
<snip>I started screaming, flapping my arms and jumping around like Richard Simmons. <snip>

Now that paints a vivid visual image.:eek: Good for you for limiting yourself to what Pat McManus calls a Modified Stationary Panic (as opposed to a Full-Bore Linear Panic). If you had abandoned your position on dry land, things could have gotten real bad, real quick. I've had my share of snake encounters while canoeing and fishing and, while I'm not a big fan of Mr. Noshoulders, they generally don't bother me all that much. But in this case, I think I would have been doing the Richards Simmons dance right along with you. Thanks for sharing.

SC

Carlito
04-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Sitting at my desk laughing my a$$ off!

duckypaddler
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
There was a water snake about 50 yards above bridge above Elkmont campground on Sunday whne I paddled. I was 4 feet from him when my buddy pointed him out to me. Once I saw that his head wasn't triangular & had no rattles I just sat down my boat 4 feet from him & slid into the water. He stayed still. One friend then put in where I did and my other friend put in within 6 inches of him and he just stayed there frozen basking in the sun:eek:

For once it was a nice encounter:rolleyes:

Usually I run up on them & scream like a girl when I first see them:redface:

The water snakes are out!

No Hackle
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
That ain't funny, You would be buring me this week if that happened to me.
Lynn

$3Bridge
04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Sounds like you found a spot where those water snakes spent the winter. They would still be close to their hibernation spot, coming out in the sun on nice days to warm up.

whitefeather
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Sometimes it takes a while to acclimate to spring conditions, especially if you have been in the woods throughout the winter and early spring a lot. I often forget about the snakes coming out of hibernation when the ground warms up.

Snakes don't bother me as long as I don't have any eyeball to eyeball surprise encounters.

One thing a snake hunting buddy of mine used to do all the time is tie a fuel oil or diesel soaked rag to his boot. Snakes have a sense of smell about 10,000 times better than a bloodhound.

They don't like the smell of fuel oil, so they always move away from you way before you get there, if they aren't too cold.

Now if a person had a way to collect wild hog urine, like they do other cover scents, that would just about guarantee you'd never see a snake again in the park! LOL!:biggrin:

ifish4wildtrout
04-18-2011, 06:32 PM
I believe I would have soiled my britches.

cardfly
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Snakes, why did it have to be snakes ? I hate snakes.

Barbara
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I am sitting here thinking about fishing Tremont tomorrow and thinking about all the walls I will NOT be fishing next to. Snakes: Everybody says "They are more scared of you than you are of them". Doubt it. :eek:

04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
I've seen them on the rock walls before and had to change my route to the water. Never heard of an experience like yours before but it must have been terrifying. It certainly was unforgetable and needs retelling as a warning to us all.

Lee

Streamhound
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Forget Richard Simmons, I would have been gyrating like all of the Bee Gees:redface:

jross
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
This story doesn't have the startling factor or the amount of snakes, but it could've gone horribly wrong.

I was fishing Tremont last August with my wife and 2 boys. the little boys were climbing all over the rocks like little boys. My wife was ahead of me and walks back to me very seriously. "there's a snake up there!" I say "so what, show me where it was". "no it's still there" With that line I got a little curious, seeing as water snakes will almost always take off.

A quick glance up ahead proved my suspicions at the mystery snake. A great big ole rattlesnake was curled up on a rock near the water's edge. Just feet from my playing kids! We got it on video, but I never pestered it enough to get it to rattle. I'll try to pick up and "croc hunter" every snake and critter I see, but not mr. rattler. We left.

It's only a snake...I'll take snakes over hornets any day!:eek:

Streamhound
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
My water snakes and most of those in my yard involve them coming at me not heading the other direction. I quickly surrender ground

Ky Tim
04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
If anyone is interested in purchasing some soiled waders please let me know.

My waders would have not been worth buying. I would have blown a hole out of the back of them that couldn't be patched!

Knothead
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Now if a person had a way to collect wild hog urine
Any volunteers to hold a hog? Who is going to hold the coffee can?:biggrin:

Barbara
04-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Fished Beech Flat area today. Now in the back of my mind I was remembering this thread and watching closely for snakes. I was on my knees on a slick bank trying to cast sideways to avoid lowhanging branches. Moved up a couple of inches and 6 or so big yellow/black butterflys exploded out of a low wet spot ahead of me. They flew right into my face.

Undoubtedly at my next EKG the doctor will ask if I knew I'd had a mild heart attack since last year's checkup.

Attacked by butterflies....just doesn't have that fear factor like snakes on a wall.

lauxier
04-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I hate snakes...I think I attract them---yours story IS a nightmare indeed---kind of like dreaming you wake up and realize you are one of the fresh heads laying outside Colonel Kurtz's compound in Apocolypse Now...or dreaming you wake up in the lobby of Kubrick's evil mountain lodge...to your left are those **** bloody twins...on your right is death awaiting in the form of a hedge maze(It's hard for me to find my way out of a car let alone that thing),behind you ,a not so attractive wife..whining...(you woke up with her in one of the seedy little honeymoon cabins that set out back ,from the Bear Tail Motel in Gatinburg,after a night of mudslides and watermelon liquor.She proves hippies do not age well,in fact she looks like something out of a Grace Slick nightmare) and in front of you limping,with axe in hand,here comes Jackie Nicholson yelling LAAAARY!!LARRY BOY...I'M COMING!!!.....REDRUM TO ALL...If a wall I'm leaning on turned into snakes,and one crawled across my shoulder....I should stop....I think I need to get my will made

jeffnles1
04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
If anyone is interested in purchasing some soiled waders please let me know.

Now that's funny stuff.

Glad the ordeal worked out OK for you (other than some waders that need a good cleaning).

Jeff