PDA

View Full Version : A few hours fishing over 4 days

rlockwood
04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
The family and I went to Townsend for Spring Break from April 14 to 17. We stayed in a cabin right on Little River.

Thursday, we pulled into town, unloaded and proceeded straight for Tremont. The original plan was to hike Lynn Camp Prong a little. But, I started salivating as soon as I saw the river, and my wife suggested that we pull over and fish. The boys quickly got their spinning gear tangled and their dad frustrated. My wife then gave me a reprieve and let me fish for about an hour. Brought 3 small rainbows to hand all on a size 16 BH Pheasant Tail beneath a parachute adams. I got a couple of swipes at the adams, but was too slow to set the hook. Upon return to our cabin, there was a massive hatch on the Little River, but there was almost nothing rising. One chubb brought to hand.

Friday, looked like rain all day, and the wind was blowing like crazy. Again, we started to hike Lynn Camp Prong, but decided against it for fear of the weather. We fished the hole right below the Institute with spinning rods, but got no takers. Stopped at one of the holes further down the road, and I LDR'd a small rainbow, and caught my first red eye bass using a beetle spin. Drove to Metcalf Bottoms and fished in front of the picnic area for about 20 minutes with no bites.

Saturday, was blown out. My wife is a runner and ran the Cades Cove loop, while the boys and I hiked around. We discovered Little River Barbecue in Townsend, and the food is VERY good. Some of the best pulled pork that I've had in a while.

Sunday was leaving day. With the agreement of my wife, I woke up early and fished the West Prong for two hours. The water was still fairly fast, so I stuck to the edges. I fished a big black cone-headed wooly bugger to get down low, with a pheasant tail trailing. This was more running and gunning up the road from one likely looking run to the next. Four more rainbows on the pheasant tail, and I was done. I got to the cabin around 9:15 EST, and we went to the Riverstone Restaurant for breakfast -- also very good.

I've got a few pictures of the rainbows, but none are overly impressive. The biggest was probably 8 or 10 inches.

I am blessed with a kind and patient family, and we had incredible weather. I'm looking forward to two more trips camping at Elkmont this Summer.

Bran
04-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Good report! Sounds like you had a great time and thats all that counts.

nvr2L8
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
rlockwood,

An 8-10 trout is might fine in my book. Come back when we can turn the water back a notch or two.