PDA

View Full Version : norris dam is spilling water

Rodonthefly
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm sure glad I got out and smoked them yesterday :p

ChemEAngler
04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Anybody gotten a surface temp on the lake lately?

Just curious what temp that surge of water is.

MadisonBoats
04-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Anybody gotten a surface temp on the lake lately?

Just curious what temp that surge of water is.

Travis,
I found this information from TWRA's Fishing Report Link. It is handy to have in the favorites folder:smile:

Link:http://www.tnfish.org/FishingReports_TWRA/ReservoirFishingReportsTennessee_TWRA.htm

NORRIS FISHING REPORT
13 April 2011

WATER CONDITIONS
The temperature of the main channel water is 58 degrees in the mornings, rising to as high as 63 degrees by late afternoon. Creeks and protected areas can be as much as 5 degrees warmer on sunny afternoons. I hope this helps guide you well. I am very worried about the Clinch's spring spawning efficiency. The river has had some scouring flows, high-levels, and thick levels of silt-ration down stream from all the rains. At least we are fortunate to have TWRA to stock the river.

MadisonBoats
04-19-2011, 10:31 AM
From WBIR's website:
Norris Dam looks like a waterfall Monday afternoon.

TVA began spilling water through the top spill way gates at 4:00 pm on Monday, to create storage (http://www.wbir.com/news/article/166562/2/TVA-spilling-water-over-Norris-Dam#) for future rain events. It's something they usually only do every 5 to 10 years, after high amounts of rainfall fill the lake.

The spill rate out of Norris will be 3.5 million gallons per minute. They are using the top gates, instead of sluicing from the lower gates, to spill the warmer water off the top and conserve the colder water which is deeper in the reservoir for summer.:smile: They expect to meet their June 1 recreation elevation target.

The last time the top gates were used to spill water was in May 2009.

TVA expects to continue to spill water through the dam for the next 10 days.