PDA

View Full Version : How do you all organize your flyboxes?

Dawgvet
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I know this is about as personal as taste in women, but how do you guys organize your flies and into what boxes? I mainly fish mountain streams and DH waters. Will likely make separate box(es) for tailwaters. Right now I'm carrying about 5 medium size boxes but would like to trim down. I know I'll have to figure it out for myself, just looking for ideas on how other folks do it.
Thanks,
Jedidiah

a_garrett82
04-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a smallish box for wild streams with drys on one side nymphs on other

Wheatley box for Western Water

Streamer Box

and misc box that has mostly junk in it ( flys i've found in trees, etc)

ifish4wildtrout
04-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I carry 3 small boxes, one for dries, nymphs, and streamers.

GrouseMan77
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I know I'll have to figure it out for myself, just looking for ideas on how other folks do it.

You answered your question. I've listened to to the advice of several and went with my own system.

For the mountains: box of nymphs/wets, box of dry and a box of assorted.

Chuckwalla
04-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I only fish small streams, so one box for me. Dries on one side, wet on the other.

For salt, I just stick a hand full of #2 and #6 chartreuse and white Clousers in my shirt pocked. That's all you need. :)

duckypaddler
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm sure I carry way too many flies, but here is how I do it.

Smokies - Smokies Dry Box, nymph box, old LRO container for flies I'm using are already used that day.

On tailwaters, I have a a tailwater dry box, midge box, also take smokies nymphs box.

I have a streamer box, but I don't ever seem to use it.

I originally just tried to have a dry & nymph box, but them I started fishing many different tailwaters and soon realized that a one box fits all was only a waste of time.

Just another opinion
James

flyred06
04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
for the smokies I have a system x fly box with dries on one side nymphs on the other. then I have a small streamer box. For salts or bass fishing I have a whole tackle bag but thats for another time and discussion.

04-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I frequently think about the 'one' box for everything but it seldom works out. i usually carry two boxes for drys, one box for terrestrials and two boxes for nymphs and streamers. i probably carry too much but hate to not be prepared for all situations................

Lee

Corbo
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Seems I travel with too many flyboxes but load the vest when I get to the river only with the boxes I expect may be needed... if I find I need a particular pattern I will walk all the way back to my car to fetch it.

Usually 2 boxes drys and emergers, one box wets/beads and then I have the box (made by orvis) with the threading gizmos that I pre-load with stuff size 20 and smaller... highly recommended as you put the small stuff on these devices at home and then stick your line through the end and it pops your fly onto the point.... I have old eyes.

I don't like too many boxes in the vest as if I stumble, fall or somehow (Mr. Clumsy) drop a box and it sinks or floats away I'll have to go back to the tying table too soon.

Mostly I fish a 2 weight so I leave the streamers in the car, if I fish larger I take them along.

jeffnles1
04-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Organize flybox? Blasphemy. Burn this heretic at the stake.

OK, how do I organize mine? I have some labeled "warm Water" and some labeled "Cold Water".

In set of boxes, I tend to have dry/floating on one side and wet on the other. They are loosely by size with some smallish, some medium and some larger (size of flies inside). But overall, there are no real rules I tend to have more or one type in a box than the other, but it's not unusual for me to have some hare's ear and Adams in my warm water boxes nor is it unheard of to have some woolie buggers and foam spiders in my cold water boxes.

Pretty much, I carry far too many fly boxes with me fishing than I probably need to because I am so unorganized. :biggrin:

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I have one box of assorted that is mostly subsurfaces stuff, one box of dries, one streamers and a dropper box. Don't really use the dropper box as much as I thought I would.