PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Nantahala river......need advice please

foureyes
04-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Hey everyone.

My wife and I are heading to the Nantahala river area this weekend for our wedding anniversary and looking to do a liitle fishing while in the area. I probably won't be able to spent a great deal of time on the river. But the wife has promised that she will let me escape long enough to try to catch some trout. I'm pretty familiar with they area because I use to kayak quite a bit. But have no idea where I should go to fish considering my time restriction. Any tried and true flies that I should try?

Thanks for any insight.

old tom
04-22-2011, 07:03 AM
I can tell you the water is high on both the lower and the upper sections. Reports I've heard are not favorable. Here's the Asheville Citizen-Times fishing report. http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110421/OUTDOORS/304210029/1019/outdoors/Fishing-report-week-April-21-2011

narcodog
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Go to the DH section above the power house. Any of the pull offs will do. If the water is high try some WB's and princes. There maybe some hatch's of march browns starting along with some cahills. the lower river is running full.