PDA

View Full Version : Can't Beat the Odds

Rog 1
04-22-2011, 06:17 PM
After fishing 50 years in the Park the odds finally caught up with me...lost a fly box last Sunday...only one that doesn't have my name and address on it...this was a dark blue trim fly box with piranah clips on the inside...it came out of my fanny pack either in the Chimney's picnic area or down by the handicapped nature walk on the WPLP....if anyone should stumble upon this box please let me know....thanks.

duckypaddler
04-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Did you go back? I'll take a look next week, you never know.

Hey Crockett you should tell your buddy Kevin to keep an eye out for it - that guy finds everything lost:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that. I also lost just a old LRO container full of flies I had been tying a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure I lost it somewhere on my belly crawling through Rhodo. Like you I had my name on all other boxes (Thanks to Shawn - see I CAN spell), but failed to put it on that one.

mora521
04-24-2011, 03:32 AM
I have never lost a fly box in the park but I have lost a buck 110 and several pairs of black dr slick hemostats and a couple of thermometers.Once about twenty years ago I almost forgot a Hardy LRH reel that was sitting on a mossy rock beside Abrams creek at the top of the big horseshoe.

I did lose an Orvis fly box on the East Fork of the Pigeon somewhere around Greasy Prong in may of 96.

duckypaddler
04-24-2011, 08:17 AM
several pairs of black dr slick hemostats

Where did you lose them. I'm up 2 pair:smile: if you lost at either location I found I'll mail you at least one of the pair;)

spotlight
04-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Hey Crockett you should tell your buddy Kevin to keep an eye out for it - that guy finds everything lost:rolleyes:

That's funny James....at times I can be very lucky I lost my Oakley's paddling the Hiawassee and went back the next day when the water was low and found them!....call me lucky I guess.....If I am in that area I'll keep a look out.

duckypaddler
04-24-2011, 03:15 PM
That's funny James....at times I can be very lucky I lost my Oakley's paddling the Hiawassee and went back the next day when the water was low and found them!....call me lucky I guess.....If I am in that area I'll keep a look out.

Sorry Kevin, I was talking about his other friend Kevin (Umberger?). I guess that Crockett's just a popular guy:biggrin: with lots of friends. Just last week I got two Matt friends of his mixed up.

Let me know if you ever want to chase some brookies:smile:

Crockett
04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Did you go back? I'll take a look next week, you never know.

Sorry to hear that. I also lost just a old LRO container full of flies I had been tying a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure I lost it somewhere on my belly crawling through Rhodo. Like you I had my name on all other boxes (Thanks to Shawn - see I CAN spell), but failed to put it on that one.

James I will tell my friend Kevin (Umberger) to look for Rog's fly box lol. Not to be confused with my other friend Kevin (Guerra) aka spotlight from this site. Neither of which are my boss though spotlight thinks he is sometimes.

MadisonBoats
04-25-2011, 08:31 AM
...(Thanks to Shawn - see I CAN spell), but failed to put it on that one. Nice!:biggrin: I will make sure any thing I find gets back to its owner if they help me out by just putting their contact info. on it. I find tons of stuff on the river...

Where did you lose them. I'm up 2 pair:smile: if you lost at either location I found I'll mail you at least one of the pair;) Very cool man! Thanks for being a great ambassador for our sport and being a kind person!

mora521
04-25-2011, 06:41 PM
DuckyP,I lost a pair on Fish Camp Prong and one way up Sams Creek around where Starkey Creek comes in but this was back in the late 90's.The last pair I lost was lastyear above camp #18 but i remembered exactly what rock I left them on and picked them up 2 days later.

Good onya for offering though.

duckypaddler
04-26-2011, 09:06 AM
DuckyP,I lost a pair on Fish Camp Prong and one way up Sams Creek around where Starkey Creek comes in but this was back in the late 90's.The last pair I lost was lastyear above camp #18 but i remembered exactly what rock I left them on and picked them up 2 days later.

Good onya for offering though.

That's funny, both pair I found were downstream of where you lost them:eek:. I know the first pair couldn't be yours as someone just left them on a huge boulder (probably after changing flies or releasing a fish) in the middle of the river. The second pair could have washed down to where I found them:eek:. The pair I found there were still connected to a zinger thing. If it's yours and you know the brand, I'll be mailing you something:biggrin:

That would be funny if 12+ years later I could return it. I found that camera (which still worked after 3 months in the stream & forrest), and was able to return it, and that was an amazing story in itself.

Barbara
04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Just a reminder to all you guys who find stuff.....hubby's prescription glasses on dark cord with silver-colored locator are still somewhere on Tremont. He usually lays them down when he's looking for rocks or something. They may have washed downstream by now but you never know!

Rog 1
04-27-2011, 02:20 PM
After seeing how much of our "stuff" is being lost and found, maybe we need a new topic section on the board that would allow us fortunates and unfortunates to post directly what we have lost or found...

old east tn boy
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Ms. Annie and I have been really into kayaking lately. We list each river or lake we put into on the side of the boat with an indelible marker. Our goal is to hit as many new ones as we can while we still can ( she has the advantage since she is only 11 months old and I am 60 years old! But then, she can't drive so maybe she doesn't.). As we paddle around we find all kinds of interesting stuff. For example, we have a nice growing collection of bobbers, plastic, cork, new and old, all kinds of colors too. We even found a spinning rod on Douglas lake recently. She is mainly interested in anything with feathers, really wants to get at the ducks bad!

Finding things in the park has been rarer; a pair of forceps and a bottle of desiccant, that literally floated to me, has been about it. I learned early on to tie everything down with a lanyard if I wanted to keep it. All of my fly boxes have lanyards and my name and contact info on them. Should I find one with the owner's name he/she will get it back!

Rog 1
04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I received my replacement fly box yesterday for the one I lost and posted about...not to tempt fate again the first thing I did was put my name and contact info on the box...now I am just waiting for my order of new flies from LRO to get here so I can begin to stock this new box for my trip to the Park in June....

mora521
04-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Duckypaddler the ones i lost were the 5" black Dr Slicks but I did not have a zinger thingy on them cause the streams I fish are the little ones that only a few of us fish and with all the bushwackin' I dont like stuff hangin off me.If you ever see some notches carved into downed trees that you have to go over or under to get upstream that was me.