PDA

View Full Version : Steady Hatches

spotlight
04-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm just curious has anyone got in the middle of any epic hatches? Last year I got swarmed by bugs on a few trips this year I have only seen a few bugs here and there and not many rising fish. I fished Little River most of the day on Friday and the water was 58 degrees overcast at first then turned sunny. I managed one nice brown on a tellico nymph.....but this was the only fish of the day and it really don't count because it flipped off the hook before I could get my hands on him.

I keep hearing all of these reports of Excellent fishing....I just wanna know where is it at? I thought Friday was tough and I didn't talk to many anglers that had any luck that day.....I was wondering is it possible that the recent high water event washed away the larvae? do any of you have an answer?:confused:

duckypaddler
04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I've never had any luck on the roadside Little River. I always do better on the headwater creeks. I used to fish hike up Elkmont, but it's hard to compete with all the tourons.

2 Wednesday's ago there were more bugs out than I have ever seen before. Last Wednesday I saw some bugs as afternoon came out, but nothing major.

As for your high water comment, the fish might be holding in unusual places due to the high water we've had lately. Most of my catching has been in non-typical locations on headwaters creeks.

Maybe it's just the rock chunkers, and the fact that the fish have PHD's in the roadside Little

Barbara
04-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Spotlight,

Your post made me feel a little better. Friday was my last day to fish and it was rough. I finally teased a nice rainbow up who looked at the fly and sank down out of sight. I changed from the yellow to a green fly and he came up slowly and very very slowly took the fly. I set the hook, had him for a second and the hook pulled loose. The rest of the day consisted of one rainbow and one brown, both small. I must have changed flies 6 times, then tried nymphs and finally decided to go to the camper and pack for home. Not my finest hour. I have never had so many refusals. :frown: