PDA

View Full Version : Temple Fork

adirondack46r
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
On my Easter Day trip to the Little River I took one of my son's 8.5 wt Temple Fork. I had recently sold off a Winston IM6 that amplified my casting imcompetence and I wasn't sure what my next purchase would be. I don't know why but I was very surprised at the performance of this rod. It was one of three I had purchased a few years ago at LRO (around $129 I think) to give away at Christmas and I had never cast it myself. I have owned several Sage and Winston, but never anything else. I have to say, I'm not sure why I would again spend 600-$700 on a rod when a Temple Fork performs so admirably.

This has probably been beaten to death, but what are your experiences with these rods? I think I'm sold.

flynut
04-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I've got a TFO Lefty Kreh series 4 weight and I love it...it's proven to be quite versatile and casts very nicely! And the lifetime guarantee is a nice thing to have too...

FishNHunt
04-26-2011, 03:11 PM
When I was in the market for a fly rod I thought that I wanted a Winston, Sage or any of the "high end" fly rods. How wrong I was. I own 3 TFO's and will not own any other brand. They fit me perfectly for where and how I fish. They weigh close to what the high end rods do and I've yet to break one and I'm hard on equipment. One can outfit 3 TFO rods with Battenkill reels and line for only slightly more than what a single high end rod costs.

benintenn
04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I just started fly fishing last fall and after talking to someone at LRO I went with a TFO combo outfit. It is the 4/5 wt 8.5 ft NXT rod. It came with rod, reel, line, leader, and a hard case...all for $199.99. I really can't compare it to anything else since it is my first and only rod but it is great. As far as I'm concerned I won't need another one for a while. I've taken it on some backpacking trips and it performed great.

My 5 year old stepped on it and broken the tip off of it after I had it for about a month. I sent it to Texas on a Monday and had the rod repaired and I was fishing with it on Friday. I'm glad I listened to the guy at LRO because he said for the little more you spend on the TFO, you can get it fixed as many times as you need.

Crockett
04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
TFO finesse is the one I use and love it. Never broken including when I stepped on it just below the rod tip real good this past weekend fishing. I did lose the rod tip on WPLR last year but that was my fault should have known better than to cut off the flies and walk through the woods without being rigged up. LRO fixed me up real quick with a replacement tip.

ifish4wildtrout
04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
I own a 3 wt 7.5 foot pro series and a 4 wt 8.5 foot BVK. I love them both and the price and warranty are both awesome.

I have never casted a high end rod, so I can not compare them to a more expensive rod.

adirondack46r
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
The only high end rod that I felt performed noticeably different than the others was a Sage XP that I used when I fished the Delaware River (Catskills) several times a year. It's a big river and almost always with a good breeze, and the XP seemed to be a good match for those conditions. Even so, was it $400 or $500 better than a comparable TFO? Probably not. Now if I had any skill at all and could buy a Sage blank and build a half way decent rod, I might do it, but TFO off the shelf production rods are, IMHO and great value.

BlueRaiderFan
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I wish I had bought the Finesse...not enough spine on the signature series for me.

adirondack46r
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I wish I had bought the Finesse...not enough spine on the signature series for me.

The finesse is medium. The signature is medium fast. Should have been MORE spine in the signature, right?

BlueRaiderFan
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Not according to the guide at the shop. I didn't cast it though. I think the sig series is a little noodly but I've only tried a few rods...maybe it's me.

BlueRaiderFan
04-27-2011, 12:51 AM
The finesse is medium. The signature is medium fast. Should have been MORE spine in the signature, right?

Yeah, I looked it up and you are correct; it's the other way around...don't know why he told me that. Guess I should have looked at the rods closer.

tntom
04-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I have a 9' 6wt Series 1 that is a verry powerfull med/fast rod it does a lot of things verry well for $109.00.

Tom

Carolina Boy
04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I have several Pro Series TFO rods (4,5, 10 ft 7 for my "sit in" Yak, and a 9) and I won a Curtis Flemming Flyrod Cronicles edition TFO 3 weight) I have thrown a ton of different rods over the years and I dig the pro series. I have a very fast Loomis 10 for tarpon that I love but as far as price I don't think you can beat TFO. There is of course the knock on em for their cork grade and overseas manufacturing but if you look at the cost and the boys who contribute to their research & development its tough to beat. Lofty price tags ain't got nothing to do with fish count! ;)

adirondack46r
04-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I understand the concerns with the overseas manufacturing. I look at it this way - I would rather buy an import from Little River Outfitters than an American made product over the internet. Putting money back in the local economy tends to be my priority.

What's the deal with the cork?

Bran
04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
They've just got a cheaper grade cork and mine has started crumbling some on my 4 wt. professional series (I bought it from LRO several years ago). It's a nice rod for the money, I'm certainly not complaining because it helped me get started in Fly Fishing.

ahutch71
05-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I have a bunch of rods, and about a half dozen are TFOs - 3 Signatures (3, 5, and 8wt), one Professional (7' 6" 3wt), a Finesse (7'9" 5wt) and a TiCR (9' 5wt). They're great rods - I was out on the Provo in January with my Dad, and had the TiCr and a Winston WT along. He started with the TFO, and then we switched rods so he could use the "good" one (the Winston). After about 30 minutes, he came over and asked if we could switch back.

For fishing in the mountains, the 7' 9" 5wt Finesse may be my favorite rod. It's between that and an 8' 5wt Diamondglass, only because the Diamondglass roll casts better than any other rod I've had the pleasure of fishing with. The Finesse has enough umph to cast a dry/dropper rig, but is soft enough in the tip to fish very fine tippets and small dries.

SmokyMt4runner
05-12-2011, 12:55 AM
adirondack46r- Well said.

I would rather purchase an American made product through LRO...

Its just a shame the "made in the USA" rods cant compete on price point.........or....are they just to proud of the product?? Over designed?? possibly........TFO seems to have answered that.

I borrowed a friends TFO sig 6ft 2wt. It was fitted with an Orvis Battenkill BBS1. The outfit balanced well and for the money It served its purpose well.

ZachMatthews
05-12-2011, 03:10 PM
had recently sold off a Winston IM6 that amplified my casting incompetence...

That is a very wise observation you just made.

Probably the number one mistake new casters make is flopping the rod too far over in the back cast, but as soon as we learn the basic stroke, just about everyone develops problems with tailing loops and crashed casts.

Stiffer rods like the TFO Professionals inherently resist being flexed when an angler misapplies power and makes a tailing loop (which some people call "punching"), and they also resist having their tips wobbled out of a straight line, which is what typically causes casts that crash sideways.

"Speed" and stiffness aren't the same thing (the TFO Pros aren't actually all that fast), but stiffness tends to be underappreciated, especially for moderate-to-good casters. If you're not a beginner but not quite yet an expert, a rod with some backbone is going to help a lot. That was basically the design mantra behind the Sage XP, which was one of the most popular rods ever and which was one of the general design models for the TFO Pro.

Zach

yonder
05-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I currently have four tfo rods in the stable. Three pros in 3,4 and 5 weights and one sweet finesse rod in a 2 weight. I bought the 5 weight, took it fishing and broke the tip within an hour on the new river. I emailed TFO and received a prompt reply. Just send the whole rod and 25 dollars. If we can't fix it we will replace it. No warranty card necessary. I shipped it on a monday. I got it back on a friday. Hard to beat the customer service at TFO. I think I will try the new BVK in an 8 foot 3 weight!

flyred06
05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I guess I am the minority in this discussion. I own several Sage rods, Winstons, Cane and had some T&Ts. I have owned and have a friend who owns many TFO rods. I PERSONALLY cannot stand them. I do not like taking a product and a art and shipping it across seas to use inadequate parts and be made by people who have never even made enough money to own a rod and know how it is suppose to feel. Also it is easy to have a warrenty like that when all they do is pick a tip, but or new rod out of a barrel and ship it back out verses making the broken piece back to match the rod correctly. Thats why more expensive rods have serial and lot numbers. Now if you own one and like it then that is great and I am happy for you. I wish you many years of service and great memories. However, I PERSONALLY had rather own a BMW than a Yugo. They both get you where you are going but one ride is definately more enjoyable. I don't mean to offend anyone but that is just my honest opinion.

The Principal
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I have Mercades tastes but a yugo pocket book!

BlueRaiderFan
05-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I haven't cast enough rods to say but it seems you get what you pay for in most areas. I do think that for my price range, I'll stick with TFO. If I could upgrade to say the $500-600 range it might be worth it but I don't know that a $250 Orvis rod would be that much better...just a guess though.

flyred06
05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
The Principle, I do understand that feeling much to well. As I said if that is what some one likes or can afford then by all means I wish you many years of great times and memories. TFO just is not for me. I truly hope everyone understands that is all I am saying.

Ky Tim
05-15-2011, 07:46 PM
However, I PERSONALLY had rather own a BMW than a Yugo. They both get you where you are going but one ride is definately more enjoyable. I don't mean to offend anyone but that is just my honest opinion.

I would rather own an old pick up and spend the money I saved by not purchasing the BMW to buy better rods! :biggrin:

flyred06
05-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Ky Tim that is so well said. LOL.

Carolina Kudzu
05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I own a 1 wt. and a 3 wt. TFO Finesse Series, and I have been very pleased with them especially on the small streams in GSMNP and WNC. Use an Orvis 5 Wt. for the larger streams.

Bran
05-19-2011, 09:15 PM
It's definitely relevant to what fits and feels best. I bought a Helios and didn't like the feel of it, after a couple of trips I sold it. If you search around there are lots of people that swear by them. I turned around and bought my first Winston after that, a BIIX 5. To this day I love them and when they announced the B3X I ordered a couple more different sizes of the 2x because it fits my cast so well. I still fish my other rods sometime but most of the time I'm on the 2x, I absolutely love casting those things.