PDA

View Full Version : Car GPS Nav Capabilites Question

JoeFred
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Does your car GPS navigation system allow you to input a destination in the form of coordinates?

If so, does the system provide the same turn directions as with a street address destination? Or does it... just "wing it?":smile:

Mine is quite basic, read-only, permiting me to only see my current location in coordinates.

flyman
05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I've been watching this post. I would like to purchase one for my vehicle, but I don't have a clue what to look for:confused:

JoeFred
05-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Mine was a most appreciated gift from a family member. It is an off brand bought at Kohls... on sale, but, aside from the screen size, has met my needs thusfar. That said and my having to ask questions like I did is evidence of my being a novice on the topic at best.

My suggestion is identify a a middle of the line Garmin model as your benchmark. Choose one having a large display, especially if attaching to a long windshield of something like a Dodge Caravan, and then doing price comparison shopping on Amazon, Overstock, etc. (Feature-wise, there may be very few differences in that price range.) Then visit brick and mortar retailers armed with your top 3 picks and a bunch of questions. Hope that helps some.

As a result of my first post, someone shared with me that although most modern units (not all) allow you to enter Lat/long or other types of coordinates in the GPS as waypoints, most do not provide complete nav data to the destination, but instead, give directions to the closest point of a street/road location, and then just show a blank area with the destination shown but without data to go there. Given that limitation, the best one could expect in order to, for instance, get near the pulloff of a particular Quiet Walkway's access to the WPLPR is the nice lady guiding one to the intersection of US 441 and Little River Road. Close, but no cigar.:frown:

kentuckytroutbum
05-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Joe Fred_

The GPS units for vehicles seem to be optimised for the road/highway network. I have a Garmin Nuvi series that works great on the road, and updates are available on a yearly basis.

For backcountry navigation, I would think you would want one that is set up for hikers/ campers, etc. Garmin makes several that I am aware of.

Most of the big box retailers usually have them such as Bass Pro, Cabelas, Best Buy, etc. that deal in outdoor/camping items. REI might be another source.

Bill