PDA

View Full Version : What I learned this weekend

Crockett
04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
This is a mini fishing report and to share some of what I learned when fishing this past weekend. I try a lot of different things and figured out some stuff that helped me a bit this time that I wanted to share. I fished a speck stream in part of the park I don't get to much and wanted to get away from the usual sam's creek or road prong destinations and hit someplace new. I got me one of Fred's maps and it showed a footbridge on a stream that I hadn't fished up yet. I thought I could get in the stream and fish up it a mile until I hit that footbridge and then get out. This plan worked great. I caught a lot of fish and was a very happy camper.

The stream was great:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/CrockettCreek/MiscFishingSpots/honeyp1.jpg

One of many nice specks I caught this day:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/CrockettCreek/MiscFishingSpots/speck2.jpg

Took me 5 hours to fish about 1 and a half miles but I finally hit the footbridge way up the headwaters of this creek and I was happy to see it. I wondered if maybe there wasn't a footbridge and hit a bunch of islands and sluices and got a little bewildered but made it. Here I am on the footbridge:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/CrockettCreek/MiscFishingSpots/madeit.jpg

I caught a lot of specks this day most being small but lots of fun. Anyway here are a few things I learned just cause I would like to see more stuff like this myself.

I have tried vests and tech packs but I keep going back to just wearing a small dark colored daypack and having a lanyard around my neck. You can see the pack on me in that pick above but the lanyard I keep tucked inside my shirt cause i don't like it bouncing around. On the lanyard are just 4 things. Nipper, very small forceps, bug float, and dry shake. That is it. I keep tippet and flies in daypack or the big side pocket of my pants.

The boonie hat has been great cause I am a habitual leaver of articles at streamside. I scatter flies, tippet and such around on rocks and always forget something. On this trip when I needed to change flies or tie a new one on I take off my hat and put the flies, tippet, and stuff I am using in my hat while I am working with it using my hat as a bench to tie on flies and stuff then put it all away and the hat back on. That helped me a lot. Many of you probably already do that kind of thing I just catch on slow and have to figure it out for myself haha.

Another thing I learned which I already knew but wasn't disciplined enough to do it was to fish the tail of the pool first and when i would get one on I would pull him up out of the pool real quick to keep from spooking the others. I didn't let the little guys "fight" and swim around in the pool a lot I just jerked them up out of there quick and clean. I was able to catch many from the same pool by starting from the tail of the pool, providing a quick exit for the trout when hooked, and releasing it downstream in the previous pool I fished helped me catch multiples from each pool.

Finally this time in addition to my Korkers I wore a pair of gaitors over them. They are black and you can kind of see them in the pick. I found that the gaitors helped in several ways. The day before I just wore my korkers and shorts in another creek and got hit a lot by stinging nettle(Oh yeah I found a while back the best way to relieve nettle sting is to wash the spot off in the creek with the cold water). Wearing the gaitors I was immune to the nettle and didn't worry as much about scraping my legs, things biting me, etc. But best of all they kept my Korkers tied all day long. I don't know what it is about wading but my Korkers always come untied and I tie them 15 times a fishing trip. With the gaitors they stayed tied all day and that was great.

Most of that was common sense but I wanted to share it in case there is some nugget in there someone hadn't thought of.

Another secluded piece of speck paradise. I can still hear the water rushing there
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/CrockettCreek/MiscFishingSpots/100_2992.jpg

spotlight
04-27-2011, 01:36 AM
You look like a homeless guy with a fly rod! hehe just kidding nice post Adam I learn something every time I fish as well I sometimes have to force myself to try new things sometimes I get lucky. Sounds like a peaceful area you found there.

duckypaddler
04-27-2011, 07:50 AM
I just wear those quick dry long pants. I couldn't imagine wearing shorts:eek: Did you like the feel of the gators? I would think they would be heavy & maybe hold water in also.

If that bridge shot pic is distorting the size of the handle from camera being on it, I think you may have found Freddies new Brookie stream:biggrin:

Nice fly, where you get that idea:rolleyes:? Just kidding, the Brookies can't leave that one alone in all this high water:biggrin:

And I would try the Chota neoprene socks with gravel guards. Like gaitors will protect shoes from coming untied, but not as bulky as gaitors.

And here's another feeding question for you. Was it a Nymph or dry fly day? I see the Barbie, but did you try any dries?

Crockett
04-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Spotlight the folks on the trail thought I was a homeless guy too I think. The dollars they give me will help replace the flies I lost though.

James I knew you were going to call me out on the fly selection. Seriously though my friend Matt gave me some of those to try and I tied up a few more also before I seen your post. Those fellows on that other message board swear by them of course. I fished 2 streams in this area and on Friday 90% of the specks took the dropper. On Saturday 90% took the dry and ummm yeah the dry I used all weekend was a yellow neversink but seriously I am not copying you lol. Gee wouldn't that be strange though if I was on the same stream. Maybe I was following you guys and hiding in the rhodo.

old east tn boy
04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
You used a pink fly on Brookies? Man those fish will hit anything won't they?

Good post. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wear Korkers too and yeah, tying constantly is a pain!

duckypaddler
04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
You used a pink fly on Brookies? Man those fish will hit anything won't they?

For me lately with all the high water, it's all they've been hitting. I'm sure it's just the only thing thay can see:eek:

You know it's a little strange when a big price nymph, yellowhammer, or a pheasant tail results in nothing but casting practice.:confused:

shinbruiser
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I have trouble getting away from wearing waders because they make me feel safe from snakes (if anyone read my Snake Nightmare post you understand why). I have found a compromise that works fairly well when it is so hot - I wear one piece soccer shin guards that you slip over your foot before you put on your neoprene socks(solves another problem I have -injury from falling forward - hence my member name).

Mundele
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Rainbows don't seem to like pink nearly as well as brookies.

duckypaddler
04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Rainbows don't seem to like pink nearly as well as brookies.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with that statement:rolleyes:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=96&pictureid=624

Not saying it would be my first choice for Rainbows, but they seem to like it none the less:biggrin:

Crockett
04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if I'd agree with that statement:rolleyes:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=96&pictureid=624

Not saying it would be my first choice for Rainbows, but they seem to like it none the less:biggrin:

Perhaps its that the specks don't like green as much as pink... I did try green too on Saturday and it seemed less effective but now I am thorougly confused...

GrouseMan77
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Both love the pink. These guys were caught within feet of each other last Saturday in the CNF.

You guys might want to think out of the fly bin. Chenille is sold in colors other than those two. ;)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5064/5666382174_866c14d5d2.jpghttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5064/5665812719_070ceb5c99.jpg

duckypaddler
04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Perhaps its that the specks don't like green as much as pink... I did try green too on Saturday and it seemed less effective but now I am thorougly confused...

Maybe it's just the male rainbows & Brookies that like Pink;)

That's all I'm saying:biggrin:

Owl
05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
And sometimes you run into some mighty scary folks back in there, off the (well)beaten path. ;)

Crockett
05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
And sometimes you run into some mighty scary folks back in there, off the (well)beaten path. ;)

Sometimes you get to meet a bunch of Georgia fellers in camo! Good to meet you on Saturday Owl I am sure we will cross paths again someday on some other stream.