PDA

View Full Version : Preserving your catch for the kitchen table

shouldofbeenhereyesterday
04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
How do you preserve the freshness of your daily catch for the dinner table that night? Personally, I clean the fish right after landing, place the fish in a creel, then put the fish on ice when back at the car. Thanks.

kentuckytroutbum
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
You're on the right track with what you are doing. The only thing I might add is to put the fish in freezer bags, squeezing out the air, before putting them on ice. Seems to keep them fresh.

Melted ice reduces the flavor content of the fish IMO.

Bill

shouldofbeenhereyesterday
04-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Bill, I'll add the freezer bags next trip.
Thanks

waterwolf
04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
It's easy, I gently slip them back into the river. Then if I am in the mood for fish, I stop by the store on my way home and purchase a nice pre-cleaned fresh fish for dinner.

old east tn boy
04-27-2011, 09:56 PM
A fellow told me to whack 'em in the head as soon as they are landed to keep the lactic acid from being released due to stress. As he put it the lactic acid makes 'em get that fishy taste. Uh, isn't that what I am after?

Anyway, do you fellas kill them immediately? I usually creel them alive and gut them when I leave. They go straight to the cooler after gutting.

steamnsteel
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
I keep mine alive as long as possible. Whatever fish I plan on keeping I will carefully string it and place it back in the water to swim in a slow current, then when I get ready to leave I gut it and dip it in the stream every so often on the way back to the jeep. Then place in a large freezer bag on ice......yummy. Hasn't failed me yet

Knothead
04-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Beleive it or not, I don't like to eat trout. You are on the right track. Don't forget the freezer bags to keep the water off the fish. Did I mention that my wife makes great hushpuppies and cornbread?;)
I prefer bluegill (oven fried) or early year crappie out of cold water. Or Captain D's or Red Lobster.

Maurer
05-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Oven fried? Can u elaborate? Thanks.

Corbo
05-02-2011, 07:43 AM
I like the pecan smothered trout at The Partridge & Pear Restaurant in Pigeon Forge.... wicked good stuff!

So far I've let them all go since moving south.

Knothead
05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Maurer, I'll get the Mrs. to elaborate on the oven fry bit. She learned it when we lived in KY.

whitefeather
05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I gut them from the lower jaws to the anal cavity. Slit the backbone membrane and clean out the blood vein as well as any remaining blood from the gullet.

Their natural slime will prevent water intrusion. Then, when I get them home, I soak them in vinegar (2 -3 hrs.) which removes all the slime and fishyness. Wash with ice cold water to firm the meat and if I am not ready to cook them right away, I smother them in table salt and soak them in ice cold water in the refrigerator.

I cook them in vegetable oil with no additional seasoning, except for corn meal or flour.

No, the vinegar does not leave a vinegar taste. The vinegar is an acid which neutralizes the pH of the alkaline, based slime. The slime is attracted and drawn out of the meat by natural chemistry, and neutralizes the vinegar.

Try this out and you will love eating trout forever more, even if you don't like them now.