PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Whitefeather

Stana Claus
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
As arranged several weeks ago, I met up with Whitefeather over in Tellico Plains this past Tuesday for some fishing in that part of the Cherokee National Forest. Because of the weather forecasts calling for a storm front to be moving through the area, we decided to fish one of the creeks over near the Indian Boundary area that had reasonable access without having to hike in too terribly far. As it turned out, the weather forecasters missed their prediction by a day and the weather stayed nice the whole time, but we kept looking over our shoulders watching for the storms that never came.

Anyway, the stream we decided to fish was a beautiful creek with very trouty looking water.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/srstarkey/20110426-2.jpg

Unfortunately, it seemed to be full of warpaint shiners and creek chubs. Between us, Whitefeather and I caught something like two dozen shiners and chubs, but only managed a handful of smallish rainbows.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/srstarkey/20110426-1.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/srstarkey/20110403.jpg

I should have had a couple more that I missed the hookset on which, at the time, I blamed on slow reflexes on my part. When I finally reeled in after fishing the whole run, I discovered that I had broken off my hookpoint behind the barb when I pulled it free from a snag earlier. Talk about a barbless hook! From now on, I'll be sure to inspect my fly a little more thoroughly after unsnagging it.

Around 3:00pm we had finally worked our way up to the next trail crossing when we noticed some dark and stormy looking clouds rolling by overhead. Deciding descretion was the better part of valor, we turned around and headed back to the vehicles, stopping to refish some of the better holes on the way. Once we got back to the cars, though, the clouds had blown on over and it had cleared back up again.

At that point, we decided to head back toward town, stopping to try our luck on some smallies in the Tellico below the Oosterneck overlook. But about the time we got started fishing there, Whitefeather stepped on a badly angled, very slick rock and went down far enough to take on some water in his waders. Like a real trooper, he tried to tough it out for a while, but that water was cold and he finally decided he had had enough for one day.

After Whitefeather called it a day, I decided to head on up toward the stocked section to put my day permit to use and see if there were any stockers left after last week's stocking. I put in just downstream of the hatchery, and on my second cast I hooked up with the biggest rainbow I've caught to date. While not a monster, it was a good 17" - 18" fish. Unfortunately, while trying to fish my camera out of my vest pocket one-handed, he gave an extra vigorous flop and came off the hook. Next time I'll be sure to bring a net! After that debacle, I fished a little while longer without any more takes and finally decided to call it a day myself.

All in all, it was a day well spent. It was good to meet up with a fellow forum member and spend some time on the creek. And we both caught enough fish that the day wasn't a total bust, but not so many that we both aren't eager to get back out there and try again. Which, by the way, we are planning to do this coming Sunday, weather permitting.

GrouseMan77
04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I hope you put the war paint shiners in your pocket and took them home with you.

Stana Claus
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
We probably should have, but I don't think it would make any difference. They were so thick and agressive that Whitefeather even had a group of them chase a trout away from his fly at one point. Maybe we should try to put out the word that war paints are an incredible aphrodisiac fried up crispy and eaten bones and all. Or set a 4 fish creel limit and 3" - 4" PLR slot and wait for the poachers to wipe them out. :biggrin:

duckypaddler
05-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Glad you got to meet up with him. I would have tried, but I'm really not familiar with the Tellico Area, and the Smokies have been fishing great:smile:

Too bad that stream was full of shiners

I fish the stocker section sometimes after a low whitewater run. While most of the stocker fish reel in like dead weight, you will occasionally get a holdover that will give you a run for your money. While chaing fish on tailwaters is common practice, I usually don't have to chase fish 40 yards on freestone streams, and is quite a bit more challenging with huge boulders in the way:eek:

Glad you got out, caught some fish, met another fourm member, and had a great day in the mountains.:biggrin:

whitefeather
05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Stan,

I don't know how many of those creek chubs and war paints I put on a hard hook set on and set flying back over my shoulder, but I didn't retrieve them. Most came off the hook without breaking the tippet or fly off, so they found new homes on the bank somehwere back behind me! LOL!:biggrin: