PDA

View Full Version : South Holston (Report): April 23, 2011

MadisonBoats
04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Fished the South Holston on Saturday, April 23, 2011. The weather was excellent and the water temperature hovered around 58 degrees. There were sparodic hatches of BWOs. The water film was thick with midge exoskeletons. Also, there were significant sulphur nymphs in the flows.

I fished for about 4 hours and the fish were very active. They skipped all of my midges and most of my dry flies. However; they were locked in to my bead head pheasant tails. I put a 16" dropper on them and threw to cascading ripples with excellent results. In contrast; I fished some slackwater with the same setup and they completely disregarded my rigs.

In hindsight; I would throw a bhpt on a 12-16" dropper; targetting ripples and channels. I would stay away from stagnant channels with nominal flow.

You should be able to pull about 25-45 fish every 2 hours with this setup. Shoot me an email if you need additional information.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222338_10150236622033319_718858318_8634972_6915_n. jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225106_10150236621948319_718858318_8634971_3336941 _n.jpg

Trico
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Some really great under water photos and good information. I am curious were you using about a size 16 or 18 bhpt? How were the crowds. I talked to a guide today who said everyone was on the South Holston as it was the only game in town. Thanks for sharing. I am coming down to Bean Station about the middle of May and really wanted to go fishing. Right now things do not look good for the Clinch I was hoping the Holston or South Holston may work out.

Corbo
04-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks for report... Spose I'll need to tie some BHPT...

Do SOHO fish like red copper wire on nymphs like they do up north?

MadisonBoats
04-29-2011, 08:39 AM
.... I am curious were you using about a size 16 or 18 bhpt? How were the crowds. ....

I was using a #18 BHPT with a flashback. There were several fish mongers; but, I was able to work 2-3 holes and that kept me busy for the most part. It was a Saturday Morning as well. I have fished it during the week and it is perfect for picking your holes.

Thanks for report... Spose I'll need to tie some BHPT...

Do SOHO fish like red copper wire on nymphs like they do up north?

Actually, I tied my BHPT with copper wire and no thread. I think I got that from one of Davie McPhail's Patterns...(?)

kentuckytroutbum
04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Shawn-

Thanks for the report and the UW photos, they're awesome.

Its interesting, that although there was a hatch going on, the trout preferred bhpt nymphs. Guess it goes to show that you can't out-smart a trout, me being just a lowly college graduate with only a master's level degree. Those fish must have doctorates. :redface:

Bill

MadisonBoats
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Shawn-

Thanks for the report and the UW photos, they're awesome.

Its interesting, that although there was a hatch going on, the trout preferred bhpt nymphs. Guess it goes to show that you can't out-smart a trout, me being just a lowly college graduate with only a master's level degree. Those fish must have doctorates. :redface:

Bill

Yeah, those fish only know one thing and that is food and predators. Plus; I do think fish can even read.:biggrin: My fishing buddies pulled a few on dry flies; but, I had no luck. The BWOs were coming off about 1-2 every few minutes. So; I think it was a sporadic hatch. They were hitting them on the surface.

There was a young fella below me fishing a very fast-shallow area with a san juan worm and he was pulling them in one after another...:eek: I walked up to him on the way out and he flipped over a rock and said; looks like they are taking a #18 bhpt. I said "yeap". I guess he was getting ready to switch over and take my spot. Very knowledgable young lad.

I think the difference maker for me that day was mixing my nymph in fast water with a nice mixture of bubbles to make the fish hit it quickly. I found that the same setup did not work as well fishing slack water.

pineman19
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Shawn,

Where were you fishing? I was there Saturday and Sunday.
Sunday got windy in the afternoon, fought it for a while, then headed to the house.

Neal

MadisonBoats
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Shawn,

Where were you fishing? I was there Saturday and Sunday.
Sunday got windy in the afternoon, fought it for a while, then headed to the house.

Neal

The church/iron bridge....

ChemEAngler
04-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Nice report Shawn.

Once my work schedule slows down, I plan to take a couple days off and head up that way for some midweek fishing. I have to say that on both the Clinch and SoHo even when there are duns on the surface, I easily catch 90% of my fish on the nymph. That is partially why I no longer fish sulfur dun patterns, and instead fish a hackle stacker style emerger pattern. IMO it picks up a few more fish than a standard dun pattern, but the nymph still accounts for the vast majority.

SoHo is a wonderful fishery. However, it can be a madhouse on weekends. A buddy and I were up there camping a few years ago, and we had the whole place to ourselves on Thursday evening and all day Friday. However, when we got to the water on Saturday morning at about 7:30 there were people everywhere! I couldn't believe it. Turns out it was a Casting for Recovery event, and I whipped up some stripper midges and gave them to a couple of the participants.

It is definitely a jewel, and I enjoy every trip up there.

MadisonBoats
04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Nice report Shawn.

Once my work schedule slows down, I plan to take a couple days off and head up that way for some midweek fishing. I have to say that on both the Clinch and SoHo even when there are duns on the surface, I easily catch 90% of my fish on the nymph. That is partially why I no longer fish sulfur dun patterns, and instead fish a hackle stacker style emerger pattern. IMO it picks up a few more fish than a standard dun pattern, but the nymph still accounts for the vast majority.

SoHo is a wonderful fishery. However, it can be a madhouse on weekends. A buddy and I were up there camping a few years ago, and we had the whole place to ourselves on Thursday evening and all day Friday. However, when we got to the water on Saturday morning at about 7:30 there were people everywhere! I couldn't believe it. Turns out it was a Casting for Recovery event, and I whipped up some stripper midges and gave them to a couple of the participants.

It is definitely a jewel, and I enjoy every trip up there.

Yes, it does get busy up there on the weekends. It helps to have several options to choose from...

Actually; I hate fishing nymphs and streamers. I am pretty much a 90% dry fly guy. But, I do want to catch some fish at times; so I have to use a nymph/streamer when the dry action slows down.:rolleyes:

The comparaduns are one of my favorite dry flies for the Clinch during the Mayfly season. The stocker areas seam to tear these flies up. I did not have any on hand this past weekend. However; my fly-(the Clinch Destroyer) scored a few fish with my fishing partners. I can usually fish it during the summer without changing and do very well on dry action. My numbers will be less than nymphing; but I enjoy the dry fly action much more....Also; I usually catch smaller fish than my friends that fish streamers and nymphs. That is ok with me. But, I am going to spend some time this year with streamers focusing on large trout to see if I can trick them.

The concentration of fish/per mile make the South Holston a more productive fishing venue compared to the Clinch and other tailwaters.

Thanks for your post and hope to see you on the water soon. My Romanian friend (Mihai) will be in town [May 15-23] for some fishing if you want to meet up....(?)

Corbo
04-30-2011, 09:27 AM
MadisonBoats

I'm a dry fly guy too; never really enjoyed chucking and ducking.... actually broke a Fisher Original 5 weight years ago when a bead head strayed off course.

Seems I have a zillion parachutes tied up in sulphur; just waiting on a reliable hatch before driving 2 hours to the SOHO.