PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Whitefeather, Part II

Stana Claus
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Since our trip last Tuesday got cut short because of weather concerns, whitefeather and I got back together Sunday to try again. We started back where we left off on the previous trip and proceeded upstream from there. We finally got up above the warpaints and started getting into some trout, but most of what we caught were still pretty small. Sorry, no pictures since I didn't catch anything I thought to be picture worthy. Maybe whitefeather will post his when he gets back home and has access to a computer.

I did manage to raise what looked like some nice sized fish, and even hooked a few that would have been at least in the 6" to 8" range, but somehow they all managed to slip the hook before I could bring them to hand. And, needless to say, I completely whiffed on a whole bunch more. Like Ian said the other day, I shouldn't be surprised when the trout eats my fly because if I didn't think there would be a trout in that spot, why'd I put the fly there to begin with. But for some reason, I'm still just a touch slow on pulling the trigger. Oh, well. I guess more practice is in order.

Anyway, we fished our way up the main branch until we hit a spot where we couldn't go any further upstream without bushwhacking our way back up to the trail, but we decided to backtrack to one of the tribs we had passed and give it a go instead. Boy, was that ever a good idea. It turned out to be some of the nicest water I've come across yet. Didn't catch a whole lot of them, but I did manage to raise two or three fish from each run before moving on to the next one, so there are definitely fish in there. Now I can hardly wait for the next opportunity to go back and see if I can actually bring some to hand.

All in all, it was a nice day spent on the water with good company. It was good to share the creeks with a new fishing buddy, and to find some great looking new-to-me places to fish. I'll look forward to doing it again sometime.

silvercreek
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Sounds like you had a good day. Hope to see some pics. Don't know if you were fishing dry flies or not, but on dries, it sometime helps to drop a hook size if you are not getting hookups. Then again sometimes it is a matter of the speed of the hook set. Those mountain trout can be quick. It's over before you can react. Good luck next time.

Stana Claus
05-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I caught a couple on a pheasant tail nymph, but most of the time I was throwing dries. After catching about 6 in a row that didn't exceed 4" on a #14 Neversink Caddis, I decided to go up to #12 Yellow Stimulator to try to discourage the little guys from messing with it. They still attacked it to the point that it sometimes resembled piranhas attacking raw meat, but they couldn't seem to get their mouth totally around it. Unfortunately, when I did draw the attention of a bigger fish, I either missed the hookset, or LDR'd them about halfway to me. Regardless, the Yellow Stimulator seemed like the hot ticket, but I probably should have done like you said and gone down a size or two.

whitefeather
05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Stan, I went down to a size 18, then 20, and all I got was more war paints and "minnie-bows" till we decided to try that other trib. Then it didn't seem to matter. The bigger bows seemed to take a little more time when hitting the fly.

We will fish that one again, and then again, I promise.

My wife and I have been asked to take over the campground managment since our efforts (all alone and trapped due to downed trees and no power) at securing and mitgating what we could in the way of storm damage was very much appreciated by the elderly lady who owns the cabins and campground.

I'll initially be coming down every couple of weekends to help out the owner and learn the ropes. When we left, she had to close the facility and turn down reservations because the storm had lifted the pool maintenance shed off its foundation and smashed it into the pressure tank and all the pipes were shattered, resulting in NO water. We didn't discover that till the power came back on after almost 4 days of being without it.

Anyway, I believe that's the reason the Lord steared me away Elkmont and the park to go down to Tellico Plains. Because he knew Miss Dixie would need my help! And I sure am glad I wasn't in a travel trailer during those storms! Praise Jesus!

God bless Tennessee and all the people who suffered losses during that dark and stormy period.