PDA

View Full Version : smallmouth

4wt
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm going to be in Knoxville next mon,tue,wed where would be the closest place to get in a little fishing after my meetings?I'm staying on Marketplace Blvd in Knoxville.

MickT
05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
How far are you wanting to go? The Little River anywhere from Townsend to Maryville or Little Pigeon around Sevierville would be good options. The Holston or French Broad are closer, but you will need a boat for them.

4wt
05-04-2011, 05:18 PM
The best I can tell I'm going to be about 35miles from Townsend so I guess between Townsend and Marysville will be my best bet.What about lures and places on that stretch through there?

MickT
05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I would concentrate on the lower stretches closer to Maryville. I usually catch smallies on 2'' to 4'' minnow and crawfish imitations (clousers, slumpbusters, etc) and gawdy surface flies(hoppers, popping bugs). There are plenty of pulloffs along 321, just jump in and start fishing. I haven't fished the Little River yet this year, but these have worked for me in the past.

No Hackle
05-05-2011, 03:22 PM
4wt I agree with MickT. Little River has not been fishing that great for me, But conditions change daily. LR has great access. Water levels need to drop for good wading IMO. Hope it works out for you. You really could'nt be hitting the area @ a better time, Everything is eating.
Lynn

NDuncan
05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Do any of you ever fish the section between the Mill House dam area in Walland and the sewage plant on 411? I have always wondered how that fished since my in-laws live right over there. May need to float it this year.

4wt
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
We are going between maryville and townsend but the guy thats going to be with me isnt a flyfisherman or a fisherman at all so any suggestions for and bait for a spinning rod for him?

FishNHunt
05-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Go to "Perry's mill" before you get to the gap of the mountain at Walland. Fish below the dam and you can catch some smallies. As far as your friend get a 3-4 inch rapala in gold and black or you can get some minnows and let him drown them. Stay below the dam and take some shorts to wade in. Walk down the river to where the "wing" wall ends and fish there as well. I used to fish this section almost every day when I lived in Seymour. Good luck.

4wt
05-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the help.

MickT
05-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Beetle spin with nightcrawler on the hook instead of the little plastic body that comes with it. Cast it out and reel it in. It catches fish. period. As far as artificials, 4" plastic lizards in green or brown are always good, as are 1/8 oz spinnerbaits and roostertails.

No Hackle
05-07-2011, 09:49 AM
As far as spinning, tubes have been workking for me use olives and browns. In the no current areas try an un-weighted senko. If your flyfishing stealths, clousers, crease flys and Abe's minnows. Use the Abe's minnow in the slack areas or where current meets slack. This is kind of a finesse fly it's a little small, but great for slow water. Good for pressured fish.
Lynn