PDA

View Full Version : Holston Float Questions

flydoc
05-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Alright, just got a new little trolling motor and planning on hooking it up to my brother's canoe. Got the canoe registered. Excited about trying out some of the tailwaters we've only waded in the past. We've got outriggers/stabilizers, but I think we'll probably only hit the Clinch or Holston when they're not generating. May try with one generator when we're more familiar with the water.

Pretty familiar with put-ins and take-outs on the Clinch and float times. Not as familiar with the Holston. Public access is listed/mapped on the TWRA website at the dam, Indian Cave, and Nances Ferry.

The dam to Indian Cave looks brutal, even with our motor. How about Indian Cave to Nances? Trip time? Trout or just smallies?

Also wondering about Tampoco. Anyone have contact info for paid access there?

Any more info on a possible public right-of-way just down from Tampoco at Buffalo Springs that we could get out in a canoe?

Any info on contacts for shuttle service on the Holston?

Thanks in advance!

waterwolf
05-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Indian Cave to Nances is a nice float, and the best option for you and your craft IMO. It has tons of places to get out and wade, and is easily doable in a day.

Corbo
05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Sounds like you'll have a great adventure... let us know how you make out.

CinciVol
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Another quick option would be to put in at Indian Cave and motor up or down to a set of shoals, fish, and then motor back. I have done that a few times and it has been fun. Obviously only try this if there is no generation.

flydoc
05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all your help. I'll post a report after our first trip!