PDA

View Full Version : Forney Creek Questions

TroutPharm
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I am part of a group of friends who take an annual trip to Hazel Creek. With the campsites and Bone Valley and Sugar Fork remaining closed due to bear activity, we are considering a trip to Forney Creek instead. My questions are: 1) Can you cart in your gear to the campsites on Forney Creek like you can on Hazel? 2) How does the campsites and fishing compare to Hazel? Any other comments on Forney Creek or any other possible (remote) camping and fishing locations would be appreciated. Tight lines!

GrouseMan77
05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Carts are not allowed up Forney Creek.

NDuncan
05-11-2011, 02:53 PM
When are you planning on going?

TroutPharm
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
I thought so. Thanks for the information.

TroutPharm
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Hopefully in June. Lots of schedules to coordinate.

TroutPharm
05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
You can tell I am new to the forum. Thanks for the info on the carts. How about Eagle? I see that it is a good hike from the dam and the more preferred campsites will be further up the trail at 89 or higher. Can you cart in gear there?

NDuncan
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think you can take carts on eagle, esp if you try to cart them in from fontana dam and not take them by boat.

deerhunter8725
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Forney Creek is good fishing in June. Very little pressure. We go every year. Each time we have went the last few years we saw nobody fishing, just a few backpackers.

Crockett
05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I have done the hike from the dam to cs 90 on eagle it is a very tough 5 miles.

MBB
05-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, I must have been unlucky. I hit it in late June a few years ago and we camped at the CCC camp. We were the only ones that evening, but then about six other fisherman came in from the top on horseback early morning. We had trouble finding water that was unfished. Fishing was fair at best.

lexfly
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Troutpharm,
I had the same question last fall. Below is the link to my post. At the end of the thread someone references the park regs that tell you where you can/can't take a cart, size restrictions on cart, etc.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14478&highlight=lexfly

TroutPharm
05-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Lexfly,

thanks for the info. We are still up in the air on where we are headed. Interesting cart size limits. Not sure I have ever seen one as small as the regulations describe.

GrouseMan77
05-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Troutpharm,
I had the same question last fall. Below is the link to my post. At the end of the thread someone references the park regs that tell you where you can/can't take a cart, size restrictions on cart, etc.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14478&highlight=lexfly

Lexfly,

Thanks for posting the link to the old thread. I had actually forgotten about that and apologize for the incorrect info I provided.

lexfly
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
troutpharm,
None of the 3 of our carts were the correct size, but we didn't know about it until after we had made/bought them. No one said anything to us, but we didn't see any park rangers either.
Grouseman,
No problem at all. I only get to the park once or twice a year so it is pretty easy for me to remember my posts!

bmc
05-19-2011, 12:36 AM
I can tell you that regardless of the *legality* of carts on Eagle or Forney-- the trail (especially on Forney) and the creek crossings (especially on Eagle) will probably make you abandon any carts you bring. (I did just get back from Forney and saw a group of guys using a cart to haul gear two tenths of a mile to CS74. They did seem like an awesome group of older hellraisers that would have been fun to hang out with. I hope they have a blast!)

With regards to fishable waters, I like 89 on Eagle or 74 or 71 on Forney. If you're looking to bring a bunch of gear that you won't have to carry far and still have access to good stretches of water, I would recommend 74 over 90.