PDA

View Full Version : Removing Fly from Tree Tool.

Mac
05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Looking for a little help. :confused:

I was fly fishing with this gentleman a little more than a week ago and he had this really neat tool that i can not find anywhere and was wondering if anyone knows where to find one or what is it called.

Like I stated in the Title of this thread, the purpose of this tool was to assist in removing you fly from an overhead tree limb that is out of reach.

The tool was designed with a small tub that you put over the tip of your flyrod. attached to the tub was a large "hook" or a toothed serrated hook on the end and there was a small piece of rope tied to the end of the tool.

The way this all worked was you put the tub end of the tool over your fly rod tip and raised the "hooked" tool above your head and attached it to the tree limb that had your fly caught onto it. Than with the small piece of rope you could either pull the branch down to remove your fly or you might even be able to break the branch that contained your fly.

Anyone seen anything like this? :rolleyes:

Rog 1
05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
You're on the right sight to get one....go to LRO online catalog and look under the category Fishing Accessories...there is a subsection called other accessories and one of these gizmos is there for the grand price of $3.75....

Mac
05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Rog,

Thanks, i knew i was close, just did not know i was that close. :biggrin:

Excellent.

Just looked at the one on LRO catalog. This looks to be a little big and heavy. It is hard to tell by just looking at a picture. I will have to stop by LRO the next time i am in the area and take a look. This is what i was talking about but the one i saw was fairly small and light weight. If anyone has any experience with any other fly retrievers out there that is light weight and compact i appreciate any information.

Thanks.

P.S.
I have googled Fly retriever just have not had much luck.

Rog 1
05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Mac...what weight rod do you usually fish with...this retriever is not all that heavy and I have even used on like this on a 2wt. rod...when fishing with my 4wt it is no problem at all....

Mac
05-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Rog,

That sounds like it would work than, i use a 4wt and if you have used one with your 2 wt than that should be fine, i will take a look. Sometime just looking at a picture can be hard to determine. :rolleyes:

I could not tell if this was as big as a garden spade/shovel and rope that you would use to hold your boat or if it was something you could take backcountry and fit in a small part or your flyvest pocket. :cool:

Rog 1
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Mac...this thing is maybe the size of a pack of cards...one end slips into your rod tip and the other end slips over the limb....it uses a piece of nylon twine to pull the whole thing down...these things will pay for themselves in one trip...hope it is what you need

D-Drake
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Mac,
We carry two different kinds of Fly Retrievers. The one like Rog described and that is listed on the Online Catalog is $3.75. We also stock the kind that you saw in use with the tube. It is called the Fly Retreev and is $11.50.

Both styles are much safer to use than pulling on the fly line or using the rod tip to free the fly.

Daniel

flyred06
05-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I have never seen thqat on the catalog before. I definately got to pick one up.

kentuckytroutbum
05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
If that will work on tree squirrels, I've got to get me one of those also.

Do grey or fox squirrels show any preference on size & color, or should I just match the hatch?

Bill

Rog 1
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
From an early age I found that casting to the trout up there was like Charlie Brown and his kite....its going to eventually end up in a tree some where....this usually happens on the last false cast before dropping the fly in front of a huge trout

kentuckytroutbum
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
From an early age I found that casting to the trout up there was like Charlie Brown and his kite....its going to eventually end up in a tree some where....this usually happens on the last false cast before dropping the fly in front of a huge trout

Rog1-

I with you on that one. And yes, it always seems to be on the last false cast before presenting the fly. Wonder if I'm letting the rod come back to far in order to gain distance. The trees on the SoHo are populated with my flies.

Bill

Mac
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for everyones help,

Thought i would at least post the model i ended up getting, and i found it appropriate that it is made in Western North Carolina.

Hope it is ok to post someones web site but here it is. :redface:

theflysaver dot com :cool:

Now you guys will not be able to get at least all my lost flies, :rolleyes:

NDuncan
06-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Is that legal for use in the park? I don't know what they consider to be forbidden in terms of things that cut or trim the vegetation. Looks very handy, though!