PDA

View Full Version : Planning our 2nd Trip - need advice

hookedontrout
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Me and the boys (ages 11 & 12) are ready for our 2nd trek into the Great Smokies. We survived our first trip to #50, which was only a little more than a mile, and are ready for the next challenge. We are thinking of #39 or #60 or #65 in late June. I know #60 may involve dodging tubers and #39 may involve horse droppings. Does anyone have any advice on preference, hiking distances to the campsites from parking, bears, and any fishing advice? Hopefully, we can catch our first Smokies trout on this trip. Thanks everyone!

JayB
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
If the mileage to Chasteen was good for you, then let me suggest either 39 or 18. They both follow horse trails, but dodging the occassional pile is not that big of a deal. The horse camp on 39 is up the trail from the hikers campsite, so you arent around the horses any. 39 is a beautiful site,lots of big trees, very open area, lots of firewood. I dont know how busy it is this time of year, we went last november. I cant say much for the fishing either, I didnt do much last time I went, but you have plenty of access to water as the trail follows the creek closely most of the way. I did catch one beautiful little brookie there, about 7 inches, and my first brook trout!

18 is also a good choice. All rainbows, and though they are mostly small, 6-7 inches, they are numerous and aggressive (and there are the occassional 9 inchers in there too!). The water is fairly open in places around camp making the fishing pretty easy. Another gorgeous campsite, very green down in the valley. Dont count on having a campfire there as it stays wet being in the valley, and being fairly popular there is little dry wood available. That being said its one of my favorites still. (If you are willing to travel abit there is firewood, not too far away, just a lot of legwork!)

Of course Im still limited by the range of a 4 year old, to about 3 maybe 4 miles per day. With older boys you have a LOT more options! good luck, and post a report, I really enjoyed your last one!

Rog 1
05-17-2011, 09:38 AM
They opened a new backcountry site above Elkmont last year..#21...it is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead above Elkmont campground....this is an easy trail to walk and there is plenty of good fishing around that area...

Drugcop4
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I would suggest CS24 at Rough Creek on Little River above Elkmont. There is a lot of great fishing all around the site. The site is huge with separate "pods" for camping. When we were there, a little while ago, the fishing was great with plenty of bows and specs. Firewood plentiful. The hike was not bad at all, I think it was about 3-4 miles. The grades were not bad and the trail pretty good in most spots.

deerhunter8725
05-17-2011, 02:50 PM
#60 is past where the tubers are allowed. It is about 2 miles above the parking lot. Nice easy walk, most of it is an old roadbed. 60 has several sites.

Mac
05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
#60 is past where the tubers are allowed. It is about 2 miles above the parking lot. Nice easy walk, most of it is an old roadbed. 60 has several sites.

Deerhunter,

I will agree with you on considering campsite 60 as a good option. I have never stayed at campsite 60 but about a week ago we walked past campsite 60 on the way down.

Someone more familiar with campsite 60 can correct me if i am wrong but when we were on our way downstream we stopped at Campsite 60 and talked about how nice it looked for the fishing opportunities upstream. :confused:

What it looked like to us was that upstream from 60 did a large "loop" away from the trail and looked like it would be a neat place to fish the hole day doing the "loop" back to where the trail meet up with the stream again and then hike back down to the campsite. Looked to be a all day secluded area that could be some good fishing. :biggrin:

Has anyone fished this section, if i am remembering this area correctly. :rolleyes:

old tom
05-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Mac, that section is known as Bumgardner Bend. Younger Tom and I fished it last year. It is a full day of fishing and once you get in the water there are only two ways out - the way you came in or wade until you come to the end. If you camp at 60, you'll know for sure that there is no one fishing in front of you and it is indeed a day of solitude, but not one to be done alone. Being about 2.5 miles from the trailhead, 60 does get quite a bit of use.

joe a
05-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Take note that #60 is now a reservation site.

Younger Tom
05-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Mac, that section is known as Bumgardner Bend. Younger Tom and I fished it last year. It is a full day of fishing

It probably needs to be said. To fish the bend you really need to be in pretty good shape. It is a long, hard wade, and as OT said, you have to keep wading until the trail comes back down to the stream at the end of the bend.

Grannyknot
05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
They opened a new backcountry site above Elkmont last year..#21...it is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead above Elkmont campground....this is an easy trail to walk and there is plenty of good fishing around that area...

I like Rog 1's suggestion of #21. No horses to deal with, good fishing, & an easy hike.

Grouseman77, Spotlight, and I camped on Deep Creek earlier this year. On the way out we stopped at #60 for a rest. There was trash everywhere and someone had run a trash bag up the bear cables. I carried out two grocery bags full of trash & Grouseman carried out an entire large trash bag full of beer cans. I hate to point fingers, but I doubt this was something backpackers could have hauled in on their backs.

60 isn't a place I would want to take 2 young boys if I was looking for a peaceful backcountry experience.

Crockett
05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Normally I agree with Rog1 and Grannyknot but I stayed at 21 in March and hated it. The map said the little river was just .10 miles away but it seemed a lot farther away (maybe cause it was a climb to get up there) was definitely not very convenient for fishing. 24 and 60 are both right on the water so I am biased. Also it was wet then and 21 was like a swamp not a dry spot to put up a tent but luckily I had a hammock. The company was aweful too since I was the only one there that night lol. I won't stay there again but I love 18 and 24 and also 39 that JayB mentioned next to pretty hollow creek.

Rog 1
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Adam...thanks for the input...I have not been to 21 and only suggested it since it is a shorter hike up the LR trail...personally I could never understand the reason why they put in another campsite at that location...love the fact that at 24 you can crawl out of your tent and start fishing...will be up there in June with my son for his farwell college tour of the park...

joe a
05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
HookedonTrout,

I just got back from a trip with my seven year old to deep creek. I posted a report "three days on Deep Creek", but I will be happy to provide you with some further info if you would like.

-Joe