PDA

View Full Version : CDC floatant?

Grannyknot
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I have heard about a special paste floatant designed for CDC dries.
Does anyone know what this product is and where I can find it?
I thought dry shake was the recommended treatment for these flies.

Also, any tips on keeping CDC dries on the surface would be much appreciated.

DarrinG
05-16-2011, 11:43 PM
I've tried a couple different things to keep CDC flies atop but always seem to go back to Fumed Silica, or "Frogs Fanny". I hate the stuff....it blows all over if you try to use it when it's breezy out, and dries out my hands, and I always seem to get a puff of it blow around and in my eyes, up my nose, everywhere. Did I say I hate the stuff? But....it's the only thing I've used that works good on wet CDC to get it back riding high & dry again, so I keep using it.

billyspey
05-17-2011, 06:14 AM
umpqua dry magic or trout hunters cdc preen oil , silica in a shaker with powder and beads.

Grannyknot
05-17-2011, 08:27 AM
DarrinG....I hate that stuff too. A couple of years ago I had the cap come off the bottle inside my backpack. Still haven't been able to get it all cleaned out.

Billyspey...thanks, I'll keep a lookout for those products.

silvercreek
05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Try Amadou. It's a fungus held in leather. You just put your fly between the leather sides an gently pinch the sides together. Sucks the water right out. There are synthetic versions but I don't know how well they work. Stuff last forever. LRO sells it.

narcodog
05-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I use both amadou and Frogs Fanny. I also have some of Trout Hunters preen oil but I have never used it.

No Hackle
05-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I keep a paper towel in my front chest pocket of my waders. I try to be as high tec as possible. Seems like Loon makes a dry shake, I think I have some of that too.
Lynn

Grannyknot
05-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Here's a picture of a yellow sally imitation I tied on a #16 hook with a cdc wing. I like the way this particular pattern puts the egg sac just under the "film" (if there is such a thing in a glass of water). I didn't put any dry fly dressing on it before dropping it in, so I presume it could float a little higher.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Flies/CDCvsHairWing001.jpg

kentuckytroutbum
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Has anyone on this thread tried WD-40? Last year, someone on this Forum was talking about using it for dries & emergers. After all, "WD" stands for water dispersant. Personally, I thought that was never going to work. The smell would scare the fish. Well, I was proven wrong. Apparently, WD masks the scent from our hands, and the fish will strike.

I like sprays because the fumed silica is just too messy to handle standing in a stream, and the wind blowing, and the powder goes everywhere.

I keep a small spray can of WD-40 in my fishing vest now. ;)

Bill

silvercreek
05-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Kentucky, so you use it and it works? Don't think I would use it on CDC, for fear it would clump up the CDC, but having never tried it, I'm just guessing. I can see where it would work on hackled flies. I've heard people spray their lures with it and it works as an attractant.

kentuckytroutbum
05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
silvercreek-

Yes, it does work! Surprised me! I can see where it would "waterproof" a fly, I don't spray it too heavily though. My technique is more of several quick sprays to form a mist. I've made a dozen or so casts before I reapply the spray.

For emergers, I cover the abdomen with my fingers, and spray the hackle. The hackle will float, and the abdomen hangs down in the water to mimic a real insect.

I agree that it also acts as an "attractant" to the fish.

And it sure is easy to use.

Bill

silvercreek
05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks Kentucky. I may have to give it a try. Does it work on CDC?

kentuckytroutbum
05-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks Kentucky. I may have to give it a try. Does it work on CDC?

I haven't had a problem with it on CDC, rabbit zonkers, etc. Just spray lightly several times to get a good even coat on the feathers or fur. Then shake gently to remove any excess.

Bill

No Hackle
05-20-2011, 10:49 AM
If added scent is illegal on the streams your fishing, you might want to check the regs about what is considered floatant and what is considered scent. I know some guys that spray their carp flys with it for scent. Just saying. Don't want you guys ending up in jail in g-town.
Lynn

kentuckytroutbum
05-20-2011, 11:06 AM
If added scent is illegal on the streams your fishing, you might want to check the regs about what is considered floatant and what is considered scent. I know some guys that spray their carp flys with it for scent. Just saying. Don't want you guys ending up in jail in g-town.
Lynn

nohackle-

I looked into that, and you are correct that in numerous states, an attractant is illegal. But, it appears that the regs are concerned with "fish scents" that on their own, are meant to attract fish. And I've found such fish scents at Bass Pro & others.

Although it is assumed that WD-40 may attract fish, I don't think we can say that WD's sole purpose is to attract fish. Although it may sound like we're splitting hairs so to speak, the law does that, and I've never been "called" on that by a game warden.

Bill

No Hackle
05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Don't hurt to have your ducks in a row. Good to know. I fish alot of cdc. Gonna give it a try.
Lynn