PDA

View Full Version : A Little Vacation Gas Money

JoeFred
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Effective today, the price for each of the 11x17 GSMNP stream maps has been reduced in an amount equivalent to 0.54 gallons of gas.*

That's not a lot compared to the fuel needed for the entire drive to and from the Park, but at least once you kill the engine at the trailhead, a good stream/trail map will be useful as you try to keep down the cost of sightseeing. The trails are fantastic this time of the year. The fishing's a nice bonus.

*Based on the price of regular gasoline within the last 36 hours at the Shell station at 2570 Parkway & Wears Valley Rd. Source: GasBuddy.com (http://www.gasbuddy.com)

NDuncan
05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
So that is roughly $2 off?

JoeFred
05-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Right you are :smile:. About a 20% reduction. We sold a lot of maps at Troutfest -- in spite of what seemed to be a smaller turnout this year -- but only because we were selling everything at even larger discounts. A lot of people are hurting financially. It's likely some who would have ordinarily been fishing this year can't because of being unemployed, or perhaps having to work two part-time jobs leaving little time for personal relaxation. It's tough right now.

JohnH0802
05-19-2011, 07:27 PM
JoeFred,
I just ordered two from the NC side. Can't wait to get them.

John

yonder
05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Joe Fred, I am coming to the smokys sometime tuesday evening. Do any of the flyshops on the north carolina side sell your maps? Thanks.

JoeFred
05-19-2011, 09:11 PM
JoeFred,
I just ordered two from the NC side. Can't wait to get them.
John

Thank you, John. I will take them to the Russellville Post Office tomorrow. Their mule is well again;), so you should get them Monday or Tuesday.

Joe Fred, I am coming to the smokys sometime tuesday evening. Do any of the flyshops on the north carolina side sell your maps? Thanks.

yonder, I'm late doing so, but I want to add my welcome to you. River's Edge in Cherokee had some early edition maps but not now. Because of gas prices and some other factors, it had gotten all but impossible to serve retailers the way I wanted to. So just this week, we've had to go to online ordering only. I can get an order to Boone by Tuesday, if not Monday, if mailed before 3 PM tomorrow. However, as is our custom, we offer a free map to new LRO forum members from out of the area planning a Smokies trip. If you will e-mail me your pick of a map and a mailing address, I will get it on the way there. Use info@saintclairmapping.com . Thanks for your interest.

yonder
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Joe Fred, I accept your most gracious offer. The email will be on the way momentarily. I will be going into the cabin flats area later in the week. A high quality map such as yours is most valuable. Thank you.

JoeFred
05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
It's on its way over "yonder." :smile:

duckypaddler
05-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Hey Fred,

I got caught up on my Bee Cove Hike to Thunderhead and did not get to make it to troutfest. Can you make a package price for all your tailwater & Smokies maps? I would like to buy them all:biggrin:

JoeFred
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Hate we didn't get to meet. Maybe soon.

Okay, here's what I've done. There is now a package deal for all the tailwater maps (http://www.smokystreams.com/maps)and a package deal for all the Smokies stream maps (http://www.smokystreams.com/).* The Smokies map package incudes a free official NPS Great Smoky Mountains Trail Map for the convenience of persons who are not yet familiar with the Park and... places like "Bee Cove.":smile:

duckypaddler
05-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks Joe! I'm sure I'll have them soon:biggrin:

JoeFred
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
dp, you should get them by no later than Wednesday. I was able to ship them without folding the 11x17s for the same shipping cost I had anticipated for having to fold them for a smaller package. That way you readily display them on the walls of your office/board room. Just keep in mind we cannot be held responsible for any damage to the mahogany.:rolleyes:

Thanks!!

JF

ifish4wildtrout
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I just ordered the set. Will there be any new ones produced? I am interested in Cataloochee area.

JoeFred
05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks! Yes, after Cosby & Deep Creeks, I plan to look at Cataloochee.

JF

Crockett
05-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Let us know when you get Cataloochee Fred I am interested too. I will be there this weekend Sat. and Sunday night at site 6 I think right on the creek with the family :smile:

Jubal
05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Very nice, just ordered the whole set, will look great on the wall. Heading up there next weekend for some fishin, be great if they get to me before we head out.

thanks!

Adam W.

yonder
05-25-2011, 06:57 AM
I received the ocono. map on monday. I was very impressed. It even shows the footbridges on the bradley fork. You folks will not be dissapointed in the quality of these maps. I can't wait for the deep creek and cataloochee maps. Good job Joe Fred. Thanks for all the hard work. Now let's head up to smokemont since I have the rest of the week off from work!!!

JoeFred
05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Very nice, just ordered the whole set, will look great on the wall. Heading up there next weekend for some fishin, be great if they get to me before we head out.

thanks!

Adam W.

Thanks, Adam! I am mailing them today. They should arrive tomorrow or Friday since the Russellville Post Office mule is well again. :smile:

JF

kevinumberger
05-27-2011, 05:44 PM
i had a lovely talk with yer wife on the sunday of troutfest..........came off a backpacking trip and stopped in at the fest........saw someone else with map in hand, and tracked down yer booth......

Jubal
05-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks, Adam! I am mailing them today. They should arrive tomorrow or Friday since the Russellville Post Office mule is well again. :smile:

JF

got 'em today man, good stuff. thanks!

JoeFred
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks, yonder & Jubal.
kevin, my wife enjoyed meeting you as well. Thank you for your interest.

New map purchase options:
Tennessee Side Stream Map Set (http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/index.htm#park02)
North Carolina Side Streams Map Set (http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/index.htm#park03)

... each with a free official Park Trail Map & Guide.

JF

Ky Tim
06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Joefred, I am planning on ordering the set on Friday, how long does shipping normally take? I am in Kentucky barely south of Louisville.

ifish4wildtrout
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I ordered mine late evening and got it 2 days later.

JoeFred
06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Joefred, I am planning on ordering the set on Friday, how long does shipping normally take? I am in Kentucky barely south of Louisville.

Tim, the Package orders are sent via USPS Priority Mail. One I mailed to Ohio arrived in two days. The Post Office says 2 to 5 days pretty much anywhere in the continental US.

JF

Ky Tim
06-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I am just looking forward to getting my hands on them. Not a big hurry otherwise, since I won't make it to the park again this year until August!